Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Exuberant CTags (Multilingual Symbol Navigator)

Re: Exuberant CTags (Multilingual Symbol Navigator)

Postby jps on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 am

vim does a similar thing: you can specify a search path for ctags files, and it'll look through them all in turn. It's worthwhile to have imo.

I do use the ctags plugin btw, I think it's great.
jps
Site Admin

Postby Simon on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:24 pm

That is excellent. Thank you for sharing.
Simon

Postby jps on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 pm

FYI, you can get the project name by calling the (undocumented) window.project().fileName().

Per-project options will be making an appearance at some point, so that'll likely be a reasonable way to go.
jps
Site Admin

Postby Simon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Just a tip regarding the rebuild behaviour. I am building my own ctags file because I have no files to open for processing in my root directory. This plug-in works fine with that because of the nice way it searches up the tree for tag files. The only snag was the missing "tags_sorted_by_file" file which prevented Show Symbols For Current File from working. However, I was impressed to find that the sorted tags file was created in the root directory even when I selected to Rebuild CTags on a file in one of my subdirectories. In other words, as with the search, the Rebuild option also walked up the path to find the tags file to use as it's base. Excellent.
Simon

Postby SteveCooperOrg on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Well done on this plugin! Just downloaded it and think it's really nice. Why I didn't get it before, I don't know...

For those of you who just want to download and install the package, get it here;

http://www.sublimetextwiki.com/pages/CTags.html

This should always be the latest version of the plugin.

NICK: Am I right in assuming that if I generated my own tag files in ctag format, this plugin would allow me to jump around?
Maybe what you're looking for is at the http://www.sublimetextwiki.com
SteveCooperOrg

Postby Simon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:02 pm

SteveCooperOrg wrote:Am I right in assuming that if I generated my own tag files in ctag format, this plugin would allow me to jump around?

See my post above yours; same situation. You'll need to generate the "tags_sorted_by_file" file if you want the Show Symbols For Current File behaviour. You could get the plug-in to do this as I did or create it yourself from your ctags file. See the resort_ctags function in "ctags.py".
Simon

Postby SteveCooperOrg on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Simon wrote:See my post above yours; same situation. You'll need to generate the "tags_sorted_by_file" file [...]

Cool! Thanks for the pointers.
SteveCooperOrg

Postby Simon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:00 pm

Without meaning to sound greedy, the only thing missing from this is a Show References function. Given a function name it would list all references from any other files. Perhaps it could use the new Project file to gather a list of locations to search.
Simon

Postby Simon on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 am

sublimator wrote:
Without meaning to sound greedy, the only thing missing from this is a Show References function. Given a function name it would list all references from any other files. Perhaps it could use the new Project file to gather a list of locations to search.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that?

Certainly. When the proposed Show References is activated, the text under the cursor is searched for in the ctags file to ensure it is a valid and tagged object. This object is then searched for in all files of the current project and listed in the Quick Panel. This effectively shows you all uses of of the function or object.

Now perhaps this is stretching the ctags plug-in beyond its defined purpose. The same thing could be done with just a Find in Project feature completely ignoring the ctags plug-in. It just seems that more could be done with all this tagged data already mapped out.
Simon

Postby SteveCooperOrg on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:18 am

Is there any way to avoid sorting of the quick panel? I'm trying to use ctags to generate an outline of a document, but the quickpanel is always alphabetical. I the the quickpanel, the plugin, or ctags? Any thoughts appreciated.
SteveCooperOrg

Next

Return to Plugin Announcements