Sublime Forum

Font character spacing settings

It seems that when used on Mac OS X with no_antialias font_option set, the letter spacing of fonts is too wide. Compare Terminal and Sublime Text 2 both using Monaco 10pt text. The characters and line spacing are the same, but without anti-aliasing, the letter spacing is too wide. It would be great to either reduce the character spacing automatically, or have the option to do so.

0 Likes

I’m experiencing this also, but with anti-aliasing enabled.

I’m on OSX, using Droid Sans Mono, size 12, subpixel_antialias. You can see it pretty clear with “<?php” and in the word “public” here:

It’s just enough to be annoying for me. :frowning: Any ideas?

0 Likes

This is an artifact of Sublime Text 2 not supporting sub-pixel positioning in OS X (it supports sub-pixel rendering, but not character placement).

I’ll see what can be done about it.

0 Likes

Ahh, that would make sense. After playing around with it more, the spacing is too wide on any mono-spaced font I tried.

Thanks! Keep up the good work! It’s very much appreciated.

0 Likes

I would love to see sub-pixel positioning, as well. I’m a stickler when it comes to my fonts. Love the product so far.

0 Likes

This should now be resolved in dev build 2079

0 Likes

I just ran into this problem, found this topic, updated to dev build 2080, and it looks great now. Thanks!

0 Likes

Having the same issues with Build 2111.

With these settings:

"font_face": "Monaco",
	"font_options":

"no_antialias"
	],
	"font_size": 12

Spacing is much wider in Sublime (left) than in Textmate (right). Any ideas?

0 Likes

I’m having the opposite problem. ST2 is rendering fonts too tight.

ST2 kering matches TextMate, but doesn’t match Terminal or TextEdit on Lion. (Of course, Terminal is what I care about. I was just using TextEdit for comparison.)

The screenshot is using Menlo 11. The top is Terminal, the bottom is SM2.

0 Likes

Are there any updates on this issue? I’m having the exact same problem of too wide character spacing with the most recent build.

0 Likes

A recent dev-build adds support for this :
http://www.sublimetext.com/dev

0 Likes

In what way does 2220 add support for changing the horizontal spacing?

I’m seeing this problem too, just updated to the dev build but there aren’t new font_options listed in the default preferences nor do I see any GUI affordance to change the spacing.

TIA

0 Likes