Sublime Forum

Concerns on the project file structure

I’ve been trying out the Sublime text 2 alpha for a couple of weeks now, I mainly need a text editor for writing LaTeX files, but do make some small code writings in it as well. I generally work along with others on projects, and therefore need an editor that supports the most common requirements for this. One requirement is that more than one person should be able to work on a project. I have two major concerns about the sublime text 2 alpha though, both regarding how projects are handled in the editor.

Project files
The Sublime Text project files, has a major drawback in my opinion, when working in a team, where more than one person works on the same project, or when working on the same project on more than one computer. The problem is that the project file contains information specific to a specific user on a specific computer. For instance the project file contains a file history, this might be relevant for the current user on this computer but make absolutely no sense for a different user on a different machine. Further more it seems that paths in the project file tends towards being absolute, which is really a problem when working across different computers.

The problems is particularly visible when working through a revision control system such as SVN or CVS, since simply opening the project file (thus changing the project history section) would render the project file as changed locally and encourage you to commit the file. Which will really lead to unnecessary commits, and needless annoyance, and data making no sense for the other users.

I would suggest splitting the project file up in two (or more files) where one is the actual project file, you would commit to the repository or share between users, and another having the local settings, such as the history section. Which would be kept outside the repository.

Project structure
Another problem that has bothered me, also with the projects, is the lack of possibility when adding folders. It would valuable to be able to add folders, and only add files based on a filter, for instance only add files ending with .cpp and .h to the project, or add all files nor ending with .tmp, etc.

Generally I love the editor but think it needs a lot of work on the project file section, I have yet to try version 1, it might be that the project files are better structured there though.

0 Likes

Pricing for Sublime 2?

Regarding to project files: you know that most (all?) version control systems gives you the ability to ignore a certain (type of) file, right?

About the exclusion thing: just edit user global preferences and add this line (which is already into default global preferences):

"file_exclude_patterns": "*.pyc", "*.pyo", "*.exe", "*.dll", "*.obj", "*.o", "*.a", "*.lib", "*.so", "*.dylib", "*.ncb", "*.sdf", "*.suo", "*.pdb", "*.idb", ".DS_Store", "*.pdf", "*.class"],

I guess you can add more file extensions there :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]Regarding to project files: you know that most (all?) version control systems gives you the ability to ignore a certain (type of) file, right?

About the exclusion thing: just edit user global preferences and add this line (which is already into default global preferences):

"file_exclude_patterns": "*.pyc", "*.pyo", "*.exe", "*.dll", "*.obj", "*.o", "*.a", "*.lib", "*.so", "*.dylib", "*.ncb", "*.sdf", "*.suo", "*.pdb", "*.idb", ".DS_Store", "*.pdf", "*.class"],

I guess you can add more file extensions there :smile:[/quote]

Thanks for the exclude patterns :smile:

The thing is, I’d like the project file to be shared, but only the portions of the project file that would actually make sense to share. This is already done in many other programs, personally I work a lot with Delphi and there they have a .local file that you would keep locally on the machine as well as the project file. Visual Studio has a similar file, and IntelliJ IDEA has the workspace file.

0 Likes

Hi Barium,

Vote for the feature here: http://sublimetext.userecho.com/feedback/19418-split-the-project-specification-and-the-project-state/.

Unfortunately it is not so popular (only has 5 votes in 4 months), but maybe you can promote some interest.

Cheers,
Josh

0 Likes

[quote=“jbjornson”]Hi Barium,

Vote for the feature here: http://sublimetext.userecho.com/feedback/19418-split-the-project-specification-and-the-project-state/.

Unfortunately it is not so popular (only has 5 votes in 4 months), but maybe you can promote some interest.

Cheers,
Josh[/quote]

That feature is exactly my thought :smile: I voted it. Is in my oppinion a must for any serious editor.

0 Likes