Sublime Forum

Project alive?

Hi everybody.

I’m sorry to register just to ask this. I’m deciding between buying Sublime or just keep using Atom. I like both, but Sublime seems a bit stalled to me. The forum is mostly spam and the latest version is half a year since.

I like Sublimes speed, but it need some modernization with git integration and color pickers and live preview and other essentials like that. Is this on it’s way?

Could the developers of Sublime please just tell me if it’s being worked on anymore?

Thank you for any info,
will

0 Likes

Is the project still active?
Is the project still active?

Hi will. A lot of people have asked this for the past two years, but you’ll get zero answers. Just use Atom or whatever. There will be new releases of Sublime, I’m sure, but juuuuust enough to keep people thinking it’s not dead.

Sublime was innovative when it was released, but the world has moved on and Sublime is now a dinosaur.

By the way… sublime doesn’t work AT ALL on newer linux distros. Not that tons of people use linux on the desktop, but worth fixing, no?

0 Likes

Jacob - which distros are you using? I’m running bleeding edge Arch and it runs perfectly…

In my opinion (and I registered just to say this lol) - it doesn’t matter how long it’s been between releases - Sublime is still the best text editor out there, I spend all my time in it and I’ve tried Atom (which is fantastic if you’re doing web development, bloated if you’re doing anything else IMO).

The features in Sublime are exceptional and I think that it’s a good enough product that it shouldn’t need updates every 5 minutes. I’ve never had any issues with it and not much I can’t do with the base editor or by using Package Control to find something useful :smile:

1 Like

Ubuntu. The #837 bug is worst, but there are tons of others… github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Co … pen+ubuntu

On Mac there are issues in el capitan and frequent crashes as well.

[quote=“AMMullan”]
In my opinion (and I registered just to say this lol) - it doesn’t matter how long it’s been between releases - Sublime is still the best text editor out there, I spend all my time in it and I’ve tried Atom (which is fantastic if you’re doing web development, bloated if you’re doing anything else IMO).[/quote]

The latest Atom is more than fast enough. And of course, “best” is highly subjective. Sublime doesn’t even have proper github integration, which all developers I know off consider a must. If only the sidebar API was good enough, people would’ve written a package (the attempts out there are very weak)

Well, it’s also incredibly buggy. Have you seen the issue tracker lately? There are literally 1000’s of unanswered forums posts. People are struggling with Sublime. Fanboys don’t like to admit it, but there are tons of bugs and annoyances in Sublime. That’s also the case in Atom, but the difference is that they 1) care and 2) have the manpower to fix things.

I still visit this forum from time to time in hope that JPS gets back on track and releases a beautiful upgrade called Sublime Text 4.0 Awesome Edition.

0 Likes

Yes, I get a few crashes every day with latest build.

0 Likes

Decided not to buy, just spam and no updates.

0 Likes

Really sad to see that such a great product is in so bad shape development-wise. No future plans, no constant bug fixes, no proper communications from the dev etc. This is a situation where the dev should consider opening the sources and giving it to open source community. It would we a total waste to let Sublime rotten while Atom and other great alternatives take over.

1 Like

There are some other bugs besides the failure on linux distros. On El Capitan we experience frequent freezing and crashing, plus some incompatibility on package control. Plus, the last dev build is almost five months old. To other visitors of this post, think twice before you buy.

0 Likes

To other visitors to this post, note the number of posts by the various whiney-butts. These aren’t forum regulars.

1 Like

pete3840: even if I agree with you, I think that this

is the best summary I saw lately on the status of Sublime. It is straight, concise, and non-controversial.
I normally don’t write in the forum, I just open it (daily) to look for some update, but in this case I wanted to share my point.

1 Like

[quote=“Nova”]is the best summary I saw lately on the status of Sublime. It is straight, concise, and non-controversial.
I normally don’t write in the forum, I just open it (daily) to look for some update, but in this case I wanted to share my point.[/quote]

BTW, the autor of Sublime doesn’t answer email and no forum post since July. I hope he’s okay.

0 Likes

You are correct that I’m a new user here but the point is still valid. Sublime is a great product but the status of the project is a bit blurry to me at least. I really hope that things will get put in shape. Like I said, it would be a total waste if a app like Sublime is abandoned.

0 Likes

I only paid my $70 in July, and whilst you might say I should have done more research, the fact was I was happy with the editor and had been using it for longer than I thought fair without paying.

This forum is depressing and making me regret the decision to pay, every day.

Because now, I can’t run it any more (Linux) and so I’m basically hosed.

I do some work on Windows desktop, so I can still use it there but only occasionally and I’ve almost decided to move away completely. I need an editor that works.

No point complaining though, you’ll get the thread deleted/banned/whatever.

0 Likes

I’m using 3083 on Fedora 23 w/no issues.

That said I’ve been testing the waters with some other editors/IDEs.

Although it saddens me to drop Sublime I just can’t invest more time in a tool I think is on it’s last legs.

Yes it works today, but for how long?

It’s a shame because it’s a great tool with a great community. Unfortunately the ship captain is MIA and more and more people are abandoning ship. :confused:

Jim

0 Likes

[quote=“thecrumb”]I’m using 3083 on Fedora 23 w/no issues.

That said I’ve been testing the waters with some other editors/IDEs.

Although it saddens me to drop Sublime I just can’t invest more time in a tool I think is on it’s last legs.

Yes it works today, but for how long?

It’s a shame because it’s a great tool with a great community. Unfortunately the ship captain is MIA and more and more people are abandoning ship. :confused:

Jim[/quote]

I’m at the same place. I’ve been using sublime since early 2012 and while it works fine right now I’m just tired of the uncertainty of the product’s future. The development over the past two years has been sporadic and haphazard. I don’t need releases every day, or every week, or every month. I just want to know there’s a commitment to maintaining the product with a reasonable release cycle and a roadmap for the future. Another issue is the state of the forums. They’re riddled with spam and the “you’re just a bunch of whiney-butts” responses are annoying – just stop making excuses.

Given all that I switched over to Atom in August. It took me several weeks to tweak the settings and theme, find packages to replicate sublime behavior, and convert over my snippets. But, I’m very happy with the results. I don’t notice, or at least I’m not bothered by, any speed difference between atom and sublime except for the handful of times I’ve had to open a huge ass log file which I now defer to gedit.

0 Likes

Has anyone tried to get into contact with the developer or one of his associates?

0 Likes

You can contact the sales@ email and get a response from that person. jps has made a decision to not communicate and I don’t think that will change. We’ll hear from him one day when he’s ready to say something. I have to assume he’s got another job, project or other interest now.

0 Likes

I have tried to get in touch many many times. He doesn’t reply to any email. I sure hope he is okay!

0 Likes

I also hope that Jon is OK.

I’d say that if he doesn’t respond at least to users that heavily contributes to the community & to the brand awareness the message is pretty clear. :unamused:

PS: It seems that Kari is visiting the forum once in a while

0 Likes

Yeah I check Jon and Karis profiles every day. Kari is visiting everyday, but must not be allowed to say anything.

Kari, if you are reading this, can you reply to me email. Pretty please?

0 Likes