Sublime Forum

Saving files with a full disk

This is the most Critical bug!!

Please see the attached photo, other Text Editor will prompt a warning when the disk space is full when saving a file,
But Sublime Text 2 will not!! :astonished:

If the disk is full, Sublime Text 2 will just save the file with empty content! Without any warning! I am scared why a text editor which is for handling text file will get this kind of serious, Critical bug? :angry:

0 Likes

It is an important issue yes. But it probably affects less than 1% of the user base, so it’s probably not the most critical bug.

Given that Sublime Text 2 is still in beta, this shouldn’t come as a surprise. But granted, if you hadn’t reported this, it would’ve probably slipped the cracks and made it to the first stable version. Alas, we are dealing with complicated software here, and there are always chances of bugs making it into a stable release.

Lets hope Jon can quickly fix this for you :smile:

1 Like

[quote=“DJMurtz”]

It is an important issue yes. But it probably affects less than 1% of the user base, so it’s probably not the most critical bug.

Given that Sublime Text 2 is still in beta, this shouldn’t come as a surprise. But granted, if you hadn’t reported this, it would’ve probably slipped the cracks and made it to the first stable version. Alas, we are dealing with complicated software here, and there are always chances of bugs making it into a stable release.

Lets hope Jon can quickly fix this for you :smile:[/quote]

Actually, I feel quite amazing about this editor. It’s a wonderful editor I have ever seen.
But this kind of bug is quite low-level, that’s why it scared me so much when I found that it empty out my file… :astonished: :astonished:

In passing, just want to make a suggestion on file manipulation:
There should be a setting for how to handle an outside edited file,
e.g. A: prompting for reload or not when a file is edited by others, B: silently reload
because sometimes, you are editing a file, and someone else changed that file, in the current approach, your hard work on that file will be cleared (silently). :astonished:

0 Likes

+1 for e.g.

This is the one thing that is stopping me from switching to sublime. In my circumstances, I don’t need full blown version control, just something that warns you if you are about to save over someone elses file. They might not even be using sublime.

0 Likes

This is a critical issue and is still unresolved.
Our company of 100+ employees working on a NAS drive just wiped over a dozen sites because sublime saved empty files without warning.

We will be moving away from this text editor, it has severely failed us

0 Likes

You could try defragmenting and/or checking for bad sectors on the drive. It is probably a drive problem, but ST should detect it when saving, and abort the process gracefully. Never experienced it myself.

0 Likes