Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

ST3 3021 Vintage Bug

ST3 3021 Vintage Bug

Postby cuebix on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:51 pm

ST3's vintage mode seems to randomly break. I'm not sure what causes it, but after a while (sometimes, within minutes of using ST3, sometimes I can go half a day without it happening), I won't be able to go back into insert mode. Other keystrokes, like highlighting and navigating seem to work fine, but I have to restart ST3 to enter insert mode again.

My ST3 preferences is shown below. It may be worth noting that I have auto_complete set to false and vintage_start_in_command_mode set to true...

I doubt it has much relevance, but I'm using ST3 on a Retina MacBook Pro (15").

Code: Select all
{
   "auto_complete": false,
   "caret_style": "phase",
   "color_scheme": "Packages/Tomorrow Color Schemes/Tomorrow-Night-Bright.tmTheme",
   "detect_slow_plugins": false,
   "font_size": 10,
   "ignored_packages":
   [
   ],
   "rulers":
   [
   ],
   "scroll_past_end": true,
   "show_tab_close_buttons": false,
   "soda_classic_tabs": false,
   "theme": "Soda Dark.sublime-theme",
   "vintage_start_in_command_mode": true,
   "wide_caret": true
}
cuebix

Re: ST3 3021 Vintage Bug

Postby guillermooo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 pm

You can try Vintageous, a rewrite of Vintage from scratch:

http://guillermooo.bitbucket.org/Vintageous/
guillermooo

Postby cuebix on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Awesome, I'll give it a try.

Thanks guillermooo
cuebix

Postby cuebix on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Either Vintageous has the bug, too, or it's an ST3 bug, because it just happened again.

To clarify, it doesn't happen in all open editors, but affects the last editor I had open. I *think* it may happen when switching from ST3 to another app and back... maybe there's a bug in whatever states get tracked in that process?

Vintageous seems cool, btw, but has some quirks, like hitting CTRL+D deletes instead of scrolling down a page.
cuebix

Postby guillermooo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I've never seen those problems myself.

1) Unable to enter insert mode

There's a memory leak in S3 that might be causing unresponsiveness after a while (since the amount of key bindings in Vintageous/Vintage exacerbate the problem).

2) Ctrl+D

It isn't bound to anything in Vintageous right now, so that's weird. Do you have other plugins installed?

If you come up with a repro, it'd be great if you could open an issue in the Github repo.
guillermooo

Postby bronson on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:56 pm

He means Vintageous should map Ctrl-D: http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/s ... tml#CTRL-D

Reproducibility? 100% :)
bronson

Postby adzenith on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 pm

guillermooo wrote:2) Ctrl+D

It isn't bound to anything in Vintageous right now, so that's weird. Do you have other plugins installed?

In Mac OS X, many basic emacs keybindings work throughout the OS, such as ctrl+a to go to the beginning of a line, ctrl+k to kill a line, and ctrl+d to delete the next character.
adzenith

Postby guillermooo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:33 pm

adzenith wrote:
guillermooo wrote:2) Ctrl+D

In Mac OS X, many basic emacs keybindings work throughout the OS, such as ctrl+a to go to the beginning of a line, ctrl+k to kill a line, and ctrl+d to delete the next character.

All right... That's the piece of the puzzle that was missing in my head :D It goes to show how literate I am in all things Mac!

To answer the question, then, it isn't implemented yet because it overrides very useful functionality on Windows, so I'll have to choose a replacement key binding for "Add Selection" first.
guillermooo

Return to Technical Support