Sublime Forum

Sublime lag on large files

Hi Sublime Team

First of I’d like to start by saying that Sublime text IS THE TITS AND I LOVE IT TO THE MAX!!! I have been using sublime for sometime now and would like to inform you guys that iv noticed after 10000 lines of code in a file sublime starts to lag(“run really slow”) a lot while I type. Im really sad about this because I simply refuse to use any other text editor due to my addiction to Sublime. I will look into this and try to resolve it but I have really limited knowledge surrounding Python and C++ as I am still a noob programmer but will definitely give it a crack :mrgreen: .

Thanks for all the hardwork and dedication to the Sublime project, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Warm regards,

Muneeb Rabaney

PS, My system that im currently running is Macbook OSX Yosemite.

0 Likes

which packages you installed? …

0 Likes

Hi tito

Sorry for the late reply, the packages that I currently have installed are as follows:

**These plugins have been recently added thus Im sure that they have nothing to do with the sublime lag on large files issue:**
    - Blade Snippets
    - Blade Spacer
    - BracketHighlighter
    - Laravel Blade Highlighter

**These plugins have been added at the time of my sublime lag on large files issue:**
    - Emmet
    - Package Control
    - rsub
    - SideBarEnhancements
    - Theme - Spacegray
    - Twilightcyanide Colorscheme
    - VCS Gutter

Thanks again for the response on my post :mrgreen:
Warm regards,
Muneeb

0 Likes

sublime does not lag in large files, is the only editor I have installed that can open a. several megabit file. Disable all the packages, and test by your self. once you corroborate that sublime does not lag, start te enabling the packages, one by one, restarting sublime in between. you will find the problematic package. good luck

0 Likes

I am assuming that tito means megabytes not megabits :smiley: In my books large means 2Gb and above. Whilst Sublime is a beautiful editor it does struggle with large files. I have had occasion to edit large (2Gb) .xml files and have not been able to complete the job

0 Likes

I dont have that problem, but maybe yes, I could have that problem if you can provide some evidence of it, as in: In OSX opening a 2Gb JSON with no third party packages installed it blocks sublime. If you want to report that ST has some issues opening big files, do this:

1. Tell wich ST version you are using and where. If you are not using some of the latest version, please upgrade…and try again…the bug may be fixed.
  2. If possible, please disable all NON Default Packages (packages not shipped with default installation)
  3. Tell which kind of file is having the problem (sql txt bla bla bla)
  4. Provide a copy to the file, god(if exists)bless you
0 Likes

Related issue on github: github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/358

0 Likes

Example of large file severely lagging Sublime Text 3 for me: phaser.js (only 3mb) However, I’ll check the plugins… might be syntax highlighting lagging things, but still…

0 Likes

Update: found the offending plugin that was making it impossible to work w/ ‘large’ (3mb) text files – colorhighlighter. Enabled, bog down on large files. Disabled, sweet as can be.

0 Likes

FWIW, I was having the same issue.
I had the BracketHighlighter package installed too! Once I uninstalled that package, I was no longer experiencing the lag.

1 Like

I had the same issue and it was caused by Git Conflict Resolver. Any files larger than a few megabytes would freeze the UI any time I interacted with Sublime. You wonderful people helped me find and solve this issue once and for all. Now Sublime is blazing fast again, after years of tolerating the issue.

0 Likes