Sublime Forum

Right to left text support

Hey guys,

I saw that the last comment on the original thread is from 3 years ago, thought I’d bring it up again.

What’s the status on RTL support? Have you given it any thought?
It doesn’t even have to be full support. The main thing is that when you write RTL languages inline, it comes out “reversed” visually.

Example (text means “Active Projects” in Hebrew):

פרוייקטים פעילים
- GOOD
םיליעפ םיטקייורפ
- BAD

In Hebrew, that’s called “visual” Hebrew (first one) and “logical” Hebrew (second).
Right now, Sublime Text (which I adore, btw) uses “logical” Hebrew, which means the letters are written as if it’s a LTR language.
“Logical” Hebrew support, however, does mean that at the end, the text looks fine because LOGICALLY that’s how it’s embedded in the text.

However, it makes files very unreadable… RTL “visual” support isn’t a very unique thing, it exists almost everywhere. Gmail, for example, is known for it’s impressive RTL support. Maybe you can look there for inspiration?

Also, I’m willing to offer my full help. I’m fluent in Hebrew and have a pretty good understanding of the RTL “mysteries”.

Btw - I want to illustrate “visual” Hebrew using the browser’s word processor (which has “visual” Hebrew support) - Try marking one of the lines, starting at the

. Do you see how the pointer jumps when you reach the Hebrew? That’s the “visual” Hebrew right there.
“Logical” Hebrew is Hebrew written as a LTR language, so in Sublime for example, marking the text would not create a jump.

Arabic (and all the other RTL languages) has the exact same thing. I guess “visual” and “logical” is more of a RTL thing.

As far as I know, Sublime Text is the most used programming text editor in the world. I know for a fact that SO MANY Israelis use it. Most of my friends use Sublime Text and it’s a shame it doesn’t yet support RTL “visually”.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Have a nice day!
Neta

1 Like

I have no need for this, but I can definitely see it as a necessity, and support it! +1

0 Likes