Sublime Forum

Select Until

I stumbled across this amazing plugin the other day, and thought it was woefully under-advertised:
github.com/xavi-/sublime-selectuntil
From the Readme:

I have wanted this functionality since day 1, and I’ve always worked around it by careful editing and searching and regexes and moving from the end of lines instead of the beginning and so forth. But this—this is how multiple selections should be. Thanks xavi-!

1 Like

To be fair, JonasPf has announced something quite similar months ago:
http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9581&start=0
And you’re right, I cannot live without since I tried it.

0 Likes

shit, that looks sweet

implemented a select to before, but until clearly seems da business

0 Likes

Talking about inclusive/exclusive of the search term …

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]To be fair, JonasPf has announced something quite similar months ago:
And you’re right, I cannot live without since I tried it.[/quote]

JumpTo looked like it doesn’t search past the end of the line, though, which seems less useful.

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]To be fair, JonasPf has announced something quite similar months ago:
And you’re right, I cannot live without since I tried it.[/quote]

It’s true JumpTo came out a couple of months before SelectUntil, but I assure you, we both came up with the idea independently. In fact the first time I heard of JumpTo was after I submit SelectUntil to the Sublime Package Control repo. Someone mentioned they forked JumpTo and added a couple ideas from SelectUtil. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said SelectUntil has a couple of additional features I’ve found very useful – search by regex or character count as well as reverse search. Select until also tries to be a usable as possible. For instance, an outline of the text that will be selected is shown while you’re typing your search term:

There’s also the fact that SelectUntil searches across multiple lines as adzenith mention (btw thanks for the shoutout!).

In anycase, I hope you all find SelectUntil useful. If you have any suggestions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

0 Likes

Not compatible with ST3 :cry:

0 Likes

I run ST3 exclusively and it works great.

0 Likes

it seems to be installed, but nothing happens when I use the keybinding. In the console I get:

File "C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\sublime_plugin.py", line 549, in run_
    return self.run(edit)
None
0 Likes

Whoops my mistake. Forgot to in the proper arguments on Windows and Linux. Should hopefully work now.

0 Likes

reverse select???
ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou!!!

0 Likes

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I never said you stole the idea (actually I stole some of your ideas in my fork :wink:).
I didn’t try your plugin yet, but I will, and probably use it instead of mine.

Thanks for sharing your works.

0 Likes

Oh Hey! Sorry, I didn’t put two and two together. Didn’t realize you made the fork. Thanks for the attribution! I really appreciate it. It’s all good. Just happy the idea is worth something. :smile:

0 Likes

how to add argument to hotkey to create hotkey with ready text

there is
"keys": ["ctrl+shift+s"], "command": "select_until", "args": { "extend": true }"

i want to add hot regex text something like this
"keys": ["ctrl+shift+s"], "command": "select_until", "args": { "extend": true, ''regex": "\b.*([\r\n] .*)+((?:\d+\.)? +)*" }

please help
thanks

0 Likes