Sublime Forum

Field markers in plugins development

Hi guys,
First of all this forum has been of the best help for a new sublime developer. Have gained immense knowledge here.

I had a new query. Just like sublime snippets do we have any option to create field markers in plugins.
I have a plugin where I use a value which I need the user to change as per his/her requirement.

import datetime, getpass
import sublime, sublime_plugin
class LogcurrentCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
	def run(self, edit):
		rg = self.view.line(self.view.sel()[0])
		self.view.insert(edit, rg.end(), "\n""/**""\n""Task : Task Description")

Please ignore my coding as i am new to this. Let me know if i could improve further as well…

My query is if I can change the Task Description wording as per user requirement just like we can do in snippets.

0 Likes

I’m not entirely sure to have understand your question but it looks like you want to have some constant definition that the user can change …
If this the case then have a look at the Settings documentation : sublime-text-unofficial-document … tings.html

And check this very detailed post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9076#p36601

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

Well, my query is as below:

After the user runs my code, the output will be as

Now just like snippets where we can use field markers using ‘$’ before Task Description in order for highlighting the text for amendment, do we have a field marker in plugins as well?

Or the other work around could be if I can prompt the user to input the task description information and then i could pass this user value in this code… But i am not sure if this could be done. I was trying the below but wasnt successful.

import datetime, getpass
import sublime, sublime_plugin

class InputtertoolCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
	def run(self, edit):
		allcontent = sublime.Region(0, self.view.size())
		rg = self.view.line(self.view.sel()[0])
		def callback_function(user_input):
			self.view.insert(edit, rg.end(), {"\n""/**""\n""Task : ": user_input})
		self.view.window().show_input_panel('Enter the Task Description:', 'input', callback_function, None, None)

The above gives an error

Not sure how i could fix this

Hope i am making sense now…

0 Likes

Ok I think I get, you just want to move the cursor after an insert ? This can be done with:

self.view.sel().clear() self.view.sel().add(sublime.Region(rg.a+x1,rg.a+x2)

In your specific case I would use directly the insert_snippet command instead of self.view.insert:

And about why your second run does not run: due to asynch process the edit object is not valid and cannot be passed around function like that (inside your callback here. You need to use a run_command, either an existing one like insert_snippet or one you write yourself where you will have access to a valid edit object.

0 Likes

Great… that worked…

Just a query, would it be possible to have this inserted at a specific line.

eg: if i have an existing piece of information on sublime and i want the plugin to run after the last line, would it be possible to insert this run command at the end of the page???

0 Likes

view.sel().clear() view.sel().add(sublime.Region(view.size(), view.size()) view.run_command("insert_snippet", {"contents": "Your ${1:Snippet} here"})

Or you could use the “move_to” command.

0 Likes

Awesome FichteFoll, that worked like a charm… Thanks all for your help and support

0 Likes