Sublime Forum

EncodingHelper ( Encoding on status bar, Convert to UTF8 )

Is not a problem with minimized files, is because guessing an encoding is an expensive task.
On my computer takes 8 seconds to guess the encoding for a jquery.js file.

0 Likes

This packages has been updated with minor tweaks and a new feature.

Now when sublime fails to detect the encoding, the package shows for example: “ISO-8859-1, Opened as UTF-8 (document probably broken)”

Sublime text provides API call view.encoding(). There is a bug with this API. Sometimes on the “on_load” event, view.encoding() is ‘Undefined’, probably because the event is dispatched before the encoding is detected.

0 Likes

Nice plugin, but looks too complex for me)
Could you please make another one with just one function - show encoding of the file in the status bar (near Syntax field)?

Thank you!

0 Likes

You can just set show_encoding_on_status_bar to true and forget everything else.

0 Likes

It wasn’t working for me.
I was getting this in my console:

Traceback (most recent call last): File ".\EncodingHelper.py", line 26, in <lambda> File ".\EncodingHelper.py", line 58, in on_load File ".\EncodingHelper.py", line 81, in __init__ TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
It seems that since my “fallback_encodings” list in the default settings was empty, python didn’t like it.
So I opened up the User settings file for EncodingHelper and set its contents to:

[code]{
// To show encoding on status bar
“show_encoding_on_status_bar” : true,

// Additional encodings to test when no acurrated guess can be done
// NOTE: Don't add ISO-8859-1
"fallback_encodings": "UTF-8", "ISO-8859-1", "UTF-16", "UTF-32"]

}[/code]
Now it works. Is this unexplained step expected, or did I miss something?

Thanks

0 Likes

Mmm I can’t reproduce your problem. Can you please remove and reinstall the package, restart sublime to see if the problem still hapens?
Maybe there was a syntax error or something into the file you had before.

0 Likes

I would love to have the same setting that the LineEndings plugin. The possibility to set:

• Display an alert when the line_ending is not some you expect.

github.com/SublimeText/LineEndings

I started looking into doing this myself but thought it would be better putting it into this plugin.
So for example we can set a setting like:

"alert_when_encoding_is_not": "UTF-8","ISO-8859-1"]

So every time I open a file which is none of those encodings I get an alert message, would be great.

0 Likes

CONVERT TO: UTF-8
I switched from Notepad++ and I really miss this vital feature in Sublime Text

just found this package
but I have 2 major issues with this ST2 package

1.] DOES IT WORK ?
how precise it is, does it work only sometimes when in official settings is this comment ?

// Automatically opens as UTF-8 the following encodings list // NOTE: Encoding detection is not acurrated // don't abuse of this feature

I do not want to abuse it I want to use it
so ok it may or may not work … which leads me to 2nd major issue

2.] CONVERT IT, no more
is there anywhere manual action simply and only … Convert to UTF-8 ?
it is real pain to look at 100+ encodings in the menu and do not know how to just convert
I believe I am not the only one who does not know file encoding and does not really care as long as it can be unified into UTF-8
is there any feature like this ?

correct me if I am wrong or using it stupid on my side
but so far the only thing the plugin does by default is that it shows the encoding in status bar

shoot me, help me, anything, thanks

0 Likes

1. yes and no.

To convert a document from some encoding to the other, go to “edit” -> “Convert to uft8 from” and select the encoding.

The plugins tries to guess the encoding and on the menu will show “convert to uft8 from guessed$here”

0 Likes

look at the screenshot!

0 Likes

When start,it shows the error message:
Reloading plugin E:\Sublime Text 2\Data\Packages\EncodingHelper\EncodingHelper.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “.\sublime_plugin.py”, line 62, in reload_plugin
File “.\EncodingHelper.py”, line 362, in
encoding_cache = EncodingCache()
File “.\EncodingHelper.py”, line 311, in init
self.load()
File “.\EncodingHelper.py”, line 334, in load
self.encoding_cache = json.load(fp)
NameError: global name ‘json’ is not defined
please help

0 Likes

That message is not from this plugin.

Try installing this: github.com/SublimeText/EncodingHelper

0 Likes

Is this plugin work with ST3?

0 Likes

No yet…

0 Likes

github.com/SublimeText/EncodingHelper/tree/st3

0 Likes

I can’t get the encoding to show up in the status bar. I can see it’s set to “true” in the default settings but it doesn’t show up. I used the repository url for the ST3 branch (github.com/SublimeText/EncodingHelper.git).

Sublime Text version: 3 build 3047
EncodingHelper version: 2013.05.23.22.42.39

0 Likes

I’ve had problems with this (very valuable!) plugin and the only way I got it to work with ST3 is to make some pretty significant edits to the chardet library, using http://www.diveinto.org/python3/case-study-porting-chardet-to-python-3.html and a handful of edits to EncodingHelper.py.

The only problem I am having now is that it doesn’t seem to be activated until I reload the plugin (by re-saving EncodingHelper.py) while Sublime is running. Does anyone have any idea why the plugin isn’t active unless it is reloaded?

0 Likes

The branch st3 is the correct version for ST3.

0 Likes

Can anyone give me a hint, how to install this under ST3 please?
I do not understand those instructions “To install for ST3, you should checkout to “st3” branch”
Thank you …

0 Likes

Forgive the newbie question, but I’m using Sublime 2 and this plugin doesn’t show up in Package Control. I added the “https://github.com/SublimeText/EncodingHelper” repository using “Package Control: Add Repository” but it still doesn’t show up under “Package Control: Install Package”, even after restarting ST.

Can someone please help me install it?

Thanks.

0 Likes