Sublime Forum

Sublime not opening new files as tabs

Hi there! This may be a stupid issue but i couldn’t figure out how to solve it.
Basically this is the problem: i was coding then accidentally hit something on the keyboard and the tabs on the top with the names of the files(index.html, style.css etc) disappeared.

Now when i click on a file from the left sidebar it actually opens in the currently selected area of Sublime(i’m using the two colums layout) but i have to double-click it to make its “tab” appear in the upper part of the screen. What should i do in order to get the things how they were when i first installed Sublime? Keep in mind i’ve already deleted all the packages, the package control, fully uninstalled the software and reinstalled it deleting every single folder on the pc before doing it including the one in AppData/Roaming/Sublime Text 2.

Since my english is not the best to explain this even better here’s a screen. As you can see i’m seeing the “style.css” file in the window but there’s no tab in the upper section of Sublime unless i click it twice. I know it’s stupid but as you know programming means switching files often and if i have to double the clicks for the whole time i’m using Sublime that starts to became a lot of wasted clicks :unamused:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9572/sublimep.png

0 Likes

You could just click once and start typing in the preview :wink:

0 Likes

You mean it’s not showing up until i write something in the window?

EDIT: if so, i would still love it to act as it did before, meaning it automatically opens the new tab whenever i click a file from the sidebar. I feel more comfortable with it :smiley:

0 Likes

Here’s the setting you’re looking for:

[code] // Preview file contents when clicking on a file in the side bar. Double
// clicking or editing the preview will open the file and assign it a tab.
“preview_on_click”: true,

[/code]

0 Likes

[quote=“adzenith”]Here’s the setting you’re looking for:

[code] // Preview file contents when clicking on a file in the side bar. Double
// clicking or editing the preview will open the file and assign it a tab.
“preview_on_click”: true,

[/code][/quote]

Thanks, i’ve tried but that’s not the setting i’m looking for. Mine is on True already, if i put it to false i have to double-click to see the preview in the current work area, but that’s already being done by Sublime. What is NOT working is that i have to doulbe click the file to make its tab appear near the tabs of the current files.

As you can see in the screenshot i clicked on the “style.css” file and have no correspondent tab, but the preview actually showed. To have the tab i have to double-click it, which is something i didn’t need to do before. Again it was something i pressed on the keyboard so do you guys know if there’s a shortcut(or another parameter to change) in order to make it work again as it did? I mean clic kon the file once -> tabs opens(with preview of course, which is already working)?

0 Likes

Hm, I’m pretty certain I’ve always had to double-click to open a new tab. But then again I leave preview mode on.
Sorry I can’t be more help!

0 Likes

I’m starting to have doubts now but i’m like 99,9% periodic sure i just clicked once to have the new tab appear.
Are you using Sublime on Mac or Windows? I’m currently on the latest dev builds on Windows, and as i said i’m sure it was like that because when i first opened three files by clicking once on them and noticed there was only two tabs open of the files i already worked on i was like “where’s my files :open_mouth: ?”

0 Likes

I’m on a Mac… maybe it’s different?

0 Likes

I found a friend of mine, also running Sublime on a Windows, online on the Facebook chat and asked him to check this for me. Found out he also needs to write something for the tab to show. I don’t know, maybe i was just mistaken but it seems strange that i found the non-opening tab SO weird considering i was sure of the contrary.

I think i’ll consider this issue “solved” unless someone tells me i’m not crazy and his Sublime acts like mine. Anyway, thanks for the help :wink:

0 Likes

This is the indended way of doing things.
Single click previews the contents of a file
Double click to open a new tab

0 Likes

were you able to resolve this. if yes, can you post the solution. i’m facing exactly the same issue. single-click opened in new tabs earlier but now opens in the current tab.

0 Likes