Sublime Forum

Build 3059 close file behaviour

Is there a setting that gets back the old close file behaviour?

Prior to build 3059: when closing the last file, the window would then close (hooray). After build 3059: closing the last file, nothing happens. Feels like it might be related to this item in the 3059 changelog:

I can’t think of any other OS X app that has this kind of behaviour and it feels terrible. Hitting Cmd+W should close files then the window (like any other app in the OS X world).

If you tend to have multiple windows/projects open then you can’t quickly close the ST window anymore. Either you need to use the mouse or another shortcut key.

0 Likes

In build 3059, close-behaviour never work to close the “Application’s About window” too.

Can’t close this window with “super + w” .
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/365 … _01_01.png

0 Likes

+1. Frustrating.

0 Likes

I have the same regression experience.

The comment preceding the “close_windows_when_empty” setting states that “This is always enabled on OS X,changing it here won’t modify the behavior.” But: using OSX still doesn’t allow me to close the window.

Effectively, the problem is that using the “command+w” shortcut has an extremely unexpected and counterintuitive results.

0 Likes

By default, cmd+w will close the current window when the last file is closed. This behavior hasn’t changed in 3059. If this isn’t happening for you, you may want to consider sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually went through the revert step already (and deleted ST2, ST3, reinstalled, basically got rid of everything involving ST that I could find!!)

My repro steps are as follows (just after reverting):

1. Start Sublime Text 3. Blank window opens (incidentally this window can be cmd-w closed)
  2. File -> Open. Here I point it at a directory, for this example I used /Users. You should get a new window with the file browser down the left.
  3. Press Cmd+W. Nothing happens on 3059. Earlier betas would close the window.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Actually I’m confused. I don’t want Sublime to close automatically when I close the last open tab, but when there is no open tab left, I want to be able to close sublime text with CTRL-W. This was possible in the previous build and all the versions before, but now I have to use the mouse to close the empty Sublime Text window.

Frustrating issue…

0 Likes

i use cmd+shift+w now to close that last window

0 Likes

Thanks for the additional information, I can see the issue now. Will address for the next build.

0 Likes

ok, yeah, @tvai’s fix works (using CMD+SHIFT+W to close the window), but it is surely an inconvenience introduced in the latest build… Hope to see this fixed soon :smile:

0 Likes

I actually need the behavior in which hitting ctrl-w DOES NOT closes the window (when there are no tabs open).

When there are many tabs open I just press and hold ctrl+w to close them all, but i DO NOT WANT TO CLOSE THE WINDOW when the last tab has been closed.

Is there a way to actually do this, as in, the opposite of what OP want?

0 Likes