Sublime Text 2: Beta

Since the first public Alpha at the end of January, there have been 12 new releases, and many more dev builds. On average, that’s a new version every two weeks for the past five months. During this time, Sublime Text 2 has made great strides in functionality, and a correspondingly large increase in users. Sublime Text 2 has long outgrown its Alpha tag, so it’s time to put a Beta label on instead.

There’s a new release to mark the occasion, and it’s got a bigger change list than any previous version. A couple of the highlights are:

Command Palette

The Command Palette provides a quick way to access commands that don’t warrant a key binding, and would usually be hidden away in a menu. For example, turning Word Wrap on or off, or changing the syntax highlighting mode of the current file. It uses the same fuzzy matching as Goto Anything does, meaning most commands are accessible with just a few key presses.

The command palette can be triggered via Ctrl+Shift+P on Windows and Linux, or Command+Shift+P on OS X.

Distraction Free mode

Distraction Free mode is full screen, with an extra emphasis on your content. All user interface chrome is hidden, leaving you with nothing but the file you’re working on. It’s a great help when you want to ignore everything else and just write. Distraction Free mode is accessible from the View menu.

Now that Sublime Text 2 is in Beta, I’m planning to reduce the number of releases to around one a month, to avoid frequent update prompts. If you prefer living on the edge, the dev channel typically has a new build every 2 or 3 days.

Traditionally, the Beta tag has been used on software to indicate it’s feature complete, and is going through testing before the final release. That’s not the case with the Sublime Text 2 Beta, which is ready to use, but subject to change. New releases will be coming out, and they’ll be adding new functionality and changing how things work.

People use Sublime Text 2 every day to get real work done – if you haven’t tried it yet, now is a great time.

Download

1. Oh wow, Sublime Text keeps getting better and better! Keep up the awesome work. I’ll be buying this as soon as I can afford to :D

Comment by Chintan — July 1, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

2. Just wanted to say “thanks a lot” one more time, You’ve done a great job making ST2 a great tool to write code. Honestly i’m a big fan of free software, but i paid for ST2 because i think it worth the effort you’ve done on this proyect, so well i’ll keep recommending this program to all the people i know… :)

Comment by Heinrich — July 1, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

3. How many lines does that example file have? o_O

Comment by Akku — July 1, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

4. You should make the trial more strict. I used it without paying for waaaaaaay too long. You deserve the $ and it’s all because I’m lazy.

Comment by Will Duncan — July 1, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

5. I’m buying it now – well worth my investment and I’m holding out for vi keystrokes mode :)

Comment by defsdoor — July 1, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

6. Hello,

If you looking for a very fast editor, which a lot of passionated programmers using it – look no more, you found it.

Jon has been doing an amazing job making this editor a really joy to use, and in fact, i never saw someone be so responsive to tickets and new ideas.

Im really impressed by sublime !

Also you can extend it Python, which i have been working for the latest 7 years.

And you can use it in all the major platforms without losing functionality.

All i can say is this: If you are unsure of buying it or not, trust a programmer who loves what he does – sublime is worth you trust !

Comment by Douglas Soares de Andrade — July 1, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

7. I just wanted to say “Thanks” for making a great editor. I use for all my coding purposes on all my platforms. As soon as V2 is golden, I’ll be buying my license! Keep up the great work!

Comment by Jack Slingerland — July 1, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

8. I don’t normally purchase beta software but this one is well worth exception. Nice work.

Comment by tdelam — July 1, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

9. Uhm… I may be being daft, but has the Command Palette keyboard shortcut replaced the Select Project shortcut? It still shows as Command+Shift+P under the Project menu.

Good job on that by the way… it’s one of my most used features :)

Would love to have Zen Coding support baked in if possible, but I understand there are bigger fish to fry.

Comment by Remy — July 1, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

10. Doh! Nevermind… I just realized it’s been moved to Command+Control+P… my bad!

Comment by Remy — July 1, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

11. You have done an incredible work with Sublime Text.
    I love it and I’ve already converted 8 persons to move from their previous editor to Sublime… And I’m still making ads to it :-)
    Thanks a lot.

Comment by JaL — July 1, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

12. I actually purchased it after using it for a day because I was impressed with how permissive the trial was.

Comment by evilkarlothian — July 1, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

13. Awesome! I’ve been using it for a couple weeks now and will definitely be forking over some cash soon. This is pretty much the only thing I code in.

Comment by Derek — July 1, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

14. It looks great and I’d love to try it, but the OS X .dmg doesn’t mount because of a failed checksum. I downloaded it several times, same result.

Comment by Lucian — July 2, 2011 @ 12:32 am

15. You may have more luck with the alternate download site: http://209.20.84.235/

Comment by Jon Skinner — July 2, 2011 @ 12:37 am

16. So this is awesome, great news! Glad to be a license holder!

One thing, I hope you see this comment way down here:

Pleaaasee make Sublime Text 2 auto-insert/force a new line at the end of a file when you save. My co-workers make fun of me :(

I tried to write one of the plugin things to get it to do this, but it turned out to be very difficult and the docs were lacking at the time. This is a pretty standard thing (vim, and most other editors) seem to do.

Thanks!

Comment by dude — July 2, 2011 @ 12:44 am

17. There’s a new setting for just this in 2076 – ensure_newline_at_eof_on_save

Comment by Jon Skinner — July 2, 2011 @ 12:48 am

18. This is simply AMAZING. Only thing I don’t like about this product is the look for distraction-free coding on win7.

Comment by Janis — July 2, 2011 @ 12:57 am

19. You should set aside an hour an make a screencast. People will not get the power of Goto Anything and Multi Select until they see it in action.

Keep up the great work!

Comment by Dave — July 2, 2011 @ 1:48 am

20. I use Sublime Text 2 everyday. I LOVE IT. It’s clean, fast and functional, not to mention a little stylish when it comes to text editors.

I used it on Windows and Mac. I’m all smiles here.

Keep it up!

Comment by Luke — July 2, 2011 @ 2:30 am

21. Finally a worthy replacement for Texpad – I’ve paid and right gladly!!!

Comment by peter huckle — July 2, 2011 @ 2:38 am

22. Great work! I’d love to help develop more plugins for Sublime Text 2 but the Plugin/API docs are still pretty thin. Any chance you can beef those up to make things easier for us?

Specifically, I’d like to be able to port the old CTags stuff to Sublime Text 2 but it’s not clear if there are new versions of the old API commands for a bunch of that stuff.

Thanks for the great product!

Comment by Rob — July 2, 2011 @ 3:02 am

23. @janis “the look for distraction-free coding on win7″

… I think that’s win7’s fault, no? :P I don’t like the look of _anything_ in win7

Comment by dude — July 2, 2011 @ 9:43 am

24. Fantastic product. My favorite text editor by far. I love the new full screen mode. I just wish the scroll bars were hidden as well. I’m on a mac so perhaps the new Lion OS will take care of it.

Comment by Josh Davey — July 2, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

25. Hey I actually stopped using sublime during alpha because everytime i opened it it nagged about updates(which results me downloading a new package and replacing files).

Which really got in the way of trying to code with it.

I haven’t check it in awhile but if you haven’t, could you please make an auto-update option?

Comment by Jarrad — July 2, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

26. Before I start using ST2, I’m just checking that the plugin architecture is still the same, i.e. plugins for ST1 still work with ST2? Zen Coding is important to me so I want to make sure it still works before I switch over.

Tanks on an awesome product!

Comment by Ian — July 2, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

27. S1 plugins don’t work in S2, the API is different. There’s no Zen Coding for S2 yet, it’s being worked on though.

Comment by Jon Skinner — July 2, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

28. The editor is just brilliant. I was looking for one which can be customized by Python and this just fits it. I also like the capability of theming the editor, not the code styles but the editor itself. I was going to purchase a license for Textmate but changed my mind after looking at this. I am definitely buying a license. Keep up the great job.

Comment by Satyajit Ranjeev — July 2, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

29. Funny thing that the alpha was actually more stable than most other editors I’ve used :)

Its probably the most feature rich editor out there that still look stylish. I use it every single day for writing reports and code, and its some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

Thanks!

Comment by Daniel — July 3, 2011 @ 1:02 am

30. Would love to see the distraction-free mode remove the scrollbar in OS X. Also, adding padding to the top and bottom so text isn’t butted up against the edges. See WriteRoom app for a great implementation.

But yes, awesome release. As much as I’ve been waiting on TextMate, you deserve a big congratulations for the incredible work. It’s time to pull out my credit card.

Comment by hcabbos — July 3, 2011 @ 7:56 am

31. Would it be possible to have the exact same key binding on all OSes?
    I’m using osx, win7 and linux with the exact same keyboard (apple keyboard) but most of the key binding are different :(

Comment by sebest — July 3, 2011 @ 9:34 am

32. Will buy once there is a way to do vim key bindings

Love the fact that it is extendable via python.
    Love the distraction free view, but could you hide the scroll bar, its distracting!!

Its slick, stylish and find anywhere is sweet
    DId i mention i’d like vim key bindings

Great work, impressive, i want to buy.

Comment by Andy Russell — July 3, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

33. SUPER! Best text editor! Love it.

How can i disable animations in tab and project pane?

thanks!

Comment by elguja — July 3, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

34. Great product, paid for it after only a day of testing. Only thing that I regret from Textmate is that when I drag and drop a file or folder over the icon in the dock, it doesn’t create a separate project. This is somewhat painful.
    I also have some keys from my azerty keyboard which are note recognized, but I should investigate.
    Other than that it’s awesome.

Comment by Henri — July 5, 2011 @ 7:42 am

35. This is WOW & I’m going to buy licence because I love this app – beautifuly nerdy :)

Are there any chances for adding ignores in project ? I’ve lot of hidden files & dirs because of complation and it’s a annoying to find all of them in “Go To” dialog and in sidebar.

Comment by Paul Krefta — July 6, 2011 @ 3:00 am

36. I am the creator of ZionEdit and quit development because of the inflexibility of the framework – and I just didn’t have the time to reinvent the wheel. Finally I’ve found an editor I would rather use than my own! And yes, I paid for it!! Yes folks, when a programmer gets paid he can pay his electricity and eat! And if he’s well supported he could possibly quit the boring day job and spend more time developing a more fantastic product. Nuf said.

By the way I love the dark themes. Under Ubuntu 11.04 even the scrollbars are themed!

Two words: Freakin’ outrageous!!!

Comment by Zionmaster — July 6, 2011 @ 3:16 am

37. File ignore pattern aren’t yet configurable on a per-folder basis, but they can be done globally, via the file_exclude_patterns global setting

Comment by Jon Skinner — July 6, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

38. Thx Jon for help – this is awesome :)

Comment by Paul Krefta — July 6, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

39. …one word – the_best

Comment by rmaksim — July 7, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

40. I was able to happily buy a license for this editor a few moments ago. This is truly the best editor, period! Hope it keeps getting better!

Comment by Ron — July 14, 2011 @ 1:14 am

41. Will you please add an option to move the minimap to the left? I can’t switch from Sublime Text 1 until you fix it :)

Comment by Ed — July 14, 2011 @ 4:00 am