Sublime Text 2 Build 2126

A new beta of Sublime Text 2, Build 2126, is available now. Some of the highlights:

Hot Exit enables Sublime Text to exit immediately without prompting, preserving your changes and unsaved files for the next time you run. This has always been available via the menu, but is now the default behavior when quitting. You can disable this via the hot_exit Global Setting.

The Side Bar has received a tune up: folders expand with a single click, and expand / collapse animations have been disabled. Headings are no longer indented, giving more space for your files, and the side bar will automatically hide when there’s nothing to show. Finally, the Open Files section of the side bar is hidden by default, as most users prefer to use the tabs – you can change this in the View/Side Bar menu.

Code Folding has arrived in this beta. Support is there for folding indented blocks, but the underlying implementation supports character level folding, so any text can be folded by first selecting it and then using the fold command. You can see the available commands in the Edit/Code Folding menu. There’s API support as well, with the new view.fold() and view.unfold() methods. There’s still more functionality to come in the future from Code Folding, notably the ability to fold based on syntactic blocks in addition to indented blocks.

There have been other improvements in almost every area: matching tags are highlighted when editing HTML, Find in Files results are in color, source code word wrapping is smarter, Vintage Mode improvements and lots more. The full list of changes is on the Sublime Text 2 page.

1. This is release is great! Very good work man. Looking forward to future enhancements to an already incredible “editor”.

- Josh

Comment by Josh — September 28, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

2. Awesome, Great work.

Comment by Matt — September 28, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

3. I can’t even begin to describe how amazing your work is. Keep it up!

Comment by Shino — September 28, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

4. Hmm. I like the addition of code folding, but I can’t seem to figure out what hotkeys trigger it on my swedish keyboard layout. Any ideas?

Comment by Jay — September 28, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

5. AWESOME! Each release brings so much power and sugar! ST2 FTW!

Comment by Balor — September 28, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

6. Omg. I have upgraded to 2111 yesterday. More features. Thanks!

Comment by Phil — September 28, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

7. In the five seconds I’ve spent with it, I think the default close method is just straight-up better than prompting. Liking it.

Comment by Steve Cooper — September 28, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

8. Jay: Depending on which OS you’re on, it may not be possible with the default set of key bindings. You can create alternate key bindings yourself though – take a look through the default key bindings for the commands, and http://sublimetext.info/docs/en/reference/key_bindings.html for information on key bindings generally.

Comment by Jon Skinner — September 28, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

9. @Jon: Oh, sweet! There’s so much that you can do with this thing! My only regret is that I didn’t purchase a license sooner :) Thanks!

Comment by Jay — September 28, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

10. Aww, code folding again on unusable hotkeys for non-English keyboards :( But easy enough to fix in the preferences :D
    However, will we get funny little triangles to click for folding in the line number column? Would make it even more useful!

Comment by ckaotik — September 28, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

11. Also, for anyone wondering, on a Swedish keyboard the commands ctrl+shift+[ and ctrl+shift+] translates to ctrl+shift+´(next to backspace) and ctrl+shift+å

Comment by Jay — September 28, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

12. >Finally, the Open Files section of the side bar is hidden by default, as most users
    >prefer to use the tabs – you can change this in the View/Side Bar menu.

Really!?! Wow. My absolute favorite feature of Sublime Text 2 is that the sidebar is so much more appropriate for displaying open files than tabs. Once you have more than 10 tabs open, they become unreadable.

The killer feature for me would be if the ‘Open Files’ part of the sidebar had an automatic grouping option. Group by syntax, group by directory, whatever… ‘Folders’ would be where I go when I’m just browsing or can’t find the file I want via cmd-P and the “open files” is anything I actually am working on.

Comment by Paul Oswald — September 28, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

13. Can’t code without it anymore! Awesome work.

Comment by godbout — September 28, 2011 @ 6:38 pm

14. For norwegian keyboards, code folding is set to

{ “keys”: ["super+alt+8"], “command”: “fold” },
    { “keys”: ["super+alt+9"], “command”: “unfold” },

search for “fold” in the default sublime keymap

Comment by peropaal — September 28, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

15. great news, the best editor in the world!

Comment by Korzen — September 28, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

16. I’m trying to convert many people from their big old IDE to Sublime Text. And many of them did :-)
    Great work ! Thanks a lot.

Comment by JaL — September 28, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

17. This is just awesome!

Comment by Thor Adam — September 28, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

18. that’s really a nice editor. coming from textmate i still have to learn new shortcuts and behaviours, but that’s ok…

Comment by Frank — September 28, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

19. I agree with ckaotik, some triangles near the line numbers to control folded blocks would be great.

Only having keyboard shortcuts is quite annoying, but at least we finally have them! Great release

Comment by Ricard — September 28, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

20. Hot exit is very very amazing. Cool. Congratulations.

Comment by Rox — September 28, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

21. This is awesome! Love the code folding feature. Thanks!

Comment by Eddie — September 28, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

22. This version 2 lacks a Word Count command (which version 1 had) — this is a must-have for Markdown and other article writing…

Will it be added, Jon?

Comment by Andy Lima — September 28, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

23. Andy: Word count will be getting in there eventually

Comment by Jon Skinner — September 28, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

24. Jon, this is terrific.
    But I agree it’d be nice to have some kind of triangles for code folding as well.

Comment by Dan — September 28, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

25. I would also like to request an icon-based way of doing code folding. Triangles or plus/minus in the number column would be great.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Comment by Joshua Clanton — September 28, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

26. I’ve been eagerly awaiting code folding and it’s finally here. I’m like a little kid on Christmas morning. Thank you!

PS: Another vote for triangles! ;-)

Comment by Tom — September 29, 2011 @ 12:15 am

27. Am I the only one who misses the expand/contract animations on the sidebar folders? :(
    It feels wrong without them! They added elegance.

Comment by Ollie — September 29, 2011 @ 12:45 am

28. Sublime 2 was already a terrific editor, but this update makes it even better! Appreciate the great work you’re doing.

Comment by Ari — September 29, 2011 @ 12:49 am

29. This is a great release! I just love being able to switch between Windows, Linux and OS X and still have my favourite editor!!! Is there a way for %APPDATA% to be a dropbox folder so that my customisations can be carried across all OS X? I can symlink in Linux/OS X but not sure how to do it in Windows…

I have been using it since Version 1 and moved reluctant to 2 as it looked a bit _scary_ with its JSON config files and all. I can’t believe I didn’t move sooner!

Keep up the good work!

Comment by Ric Deez — September 29, 2011 @ 1:34 am

30. Love the new folding, and I know you promised more features to come in the future. This was one of the features I was most looking forward to. Hoping you flesh it out more.

At the moment comments are being folded, but I guess that will come soon enough.

Comment by Enmanuel Rivera — September 29, 2011 @ 2:13 am

31. Character-level code folding?! Folding away attributes while leaving tags?! You are blazing bold new trails, and I like the direction you are headed! :)

Comment by Gavin Kistner — September 29, 2011 @ 2:33 am

32. Jon,

Nice new version! Amazing.

Btw, I’m experiencing a less smooth scrolling.
    Does anyone have the same issue?
    Mac OS X – Lion

Comment by Rafael Oliveira — September 29, 2011 @ 2:39 am

33. Big ballin’, son. I just purchased this shit after trying it for two days. Textmate = weaksauce. Keep it coming!

Comment by Bill — September 29, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

34. Sweetness!

Comment by Naeem — September 29, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

35. Another vote for folding triangles ;)

Comment by Pacek — September 29, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

36. P.S.: Great work with ST2 ;)

Comment by Pacek — September 29, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

37. Glad to see how far Sublime Text has come since a couple years ago when I first tried it out. I think I may just have to make the switch over to Sublime Text 2.

Comment by Slith — September 29, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

38. First off, love this thing… Like really really love this thing. But, one thing with the new update, the whole clicking on a window doesn’t move the cursor on OSX makes sense most of the time, but if I’m in split view, I have to click on the file twice to get the cursor where I want it. Is there a way to turn this new feature off?

Comment by Sundev — September 30, 2011 @ 4:01 am

39. Great release! Thanks.

For those who want to share sublime config folders over dropbox – http://dirlinker.codeplex.com/ simple symlinks for Windows.

Comment by Botmonster — September 30, 2011 @ 6:36 am

40. Great work on Sublime, and thanks so much for making the time limit not enforced, I probably wouldn’t buy it if it was. But can you pleeeeeease add an option to let the minimap be on the left side (and maybe even pick the color of the border, I like ST1’s orange border). It’s an inconvenience not to be able to drag the map to the right because it’s already on the right side of the screen, and also it makes the text more centred which I like, instead of being all the way against the left edge of the screen. Also it would be nice if you could drag the minimap down past the end of the text if you have that option set, rather than only being able to scroll down past it, and the minimap snapping it back up when you use it. Great work!

Comment by John — September 30, 2011 @ 7:08 am

41. Awesome app. I have been looking for a long time for something similar to TextPad on Mac OSX. By far, this is the best — simple, clean, and exchangeable.

One suggestion — column selection

Comment by kainr2 — September 30, 2011 @ 8:27 am

42. This is a great update, but there are some very small things about it that are stopping me from updating.

I NEED THE ANIMATIONS BACK.

Well let me tone that down a bit, I have got used to the animations, and I loved them. Is there anyway you can add that as a preference. Also, please give us the heading indentation as a preference.

That is about it.

cc: @Jon

Comment by Nathaniel Higgins — September 30, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

43. kainr2: Check http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/ for instructions on how to do column selection

Comment by Jon Skinner — September 30, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

44. Great work all

Comment by Christopher Scott — October 1, 2011 @ 4:17 am

45. Wow excellent work!!! So glad you take shortcuts from Textmate and improve it. Thank you a millions of times, probably in a year this will be my rock solid IDE replacing Textmate.

My wish: Please build proper (S)FTP support for projects. ‘Proper’ as in auto reconnect/keep alive/timeout. We often work remote. I know of solutions like Transmit and Version Control. But some small projects aren;t just up to that, and require debugging on live sometimes. And native support is far more better, snappier and handeling drop outs in connections better than supported mounts. ie. starbucks or hotels have an hour connection, after that you get redirect to a html login page if the call was http at the first place. This causing (with todays apps) all kind of troubles and force quits just to get back on track.

Big Regards!

Comment by Sanne — October 1, 2011 @ 6:56 am

46. Hey, loving the work you do, ST2 is the best text editor,
    Just wondering if you made any changes to OSX version for Command+Left/Right keys to go to end/beginning of a line? It doesn’t seem to work for me anymore :(

Comment by Jesse — October 1, 2011 @ 11:27 am

47. Great works,

In Default – theme, there is 2 news images : row_collapsed.png and row_expanded.png, and it’s not the images in left column (arrow_dow and arrow_right) … maybe a sign of the next “triangles features for expand/collapse code ?

I love your editor, thank to made it !

Comment by switcherdav — October 2, 2011 @ 12:34 am

48. I really miss the sidebar animations :(

Any way to get then back in the preferences?

Comment by Weslly — October 2, 2011 @ 12:51 am

49. I miss the sidebar animations as well. :/ Anyway you could make it configurable via Global Settings?

Thanks for making this amazing text editor. :)

Comment by Amjad — October 3, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

50. Thanks a lot! I’ve been following the dev channel through the Ubuntu PPA for some time now, works like a charm.

I can’t see the colors in Find in Files results though. I guess I am supposed to see syntax highlighting. But all colors I see are purple line numbers and yellow file names. The rest is just white, no matter the file/syntax type.

Comment by Lode Claassen — October 3, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

51. WHen you quit and restart the folders in the sidebar all collapse to the top level. Is there any way you can make the project remember which folders were opened and restore accordingly?

Another suggestion (as I can’t see how to do it currently). I’ve created macros for file and function headers. I’d like to add in commands to the macro file for current date, and current file, and create a keyboard short cut to run them. Will this be possible in a future release?

Great work by the way. I’m currently evaluating Sublime Text, and looking to switch from TextMate.

Comment by Tarique Naseem — October 3, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

52. Nice, this is the default text editor now in my Ubuntu box!

Comment by Kholid — October 4, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

53. Well, Jon, version 2126 did it for me: I have bought a licence.

Please keep up your great work. Good luck.

Andre

Comment by Andre — October 6, 2011 @ 2:37 am

54. Side bar animations will be back and improved for the next build.

Comment by Jon Skinner — October 6, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

55. Is there a proper way to open 2 instances so I can be editing 2 projects at the same time in win7? – fudged this by copying the exe to a new name but am sure there is a more elegant way to do

Comment by tony jackson — October 6, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

56. Tony: You can open a second window via the File/New Window menu item, and open a second project there

Comment by Jon Skinner — October 7, 2011 @ 10:11 pm