Sublime Text 2 Build 2139

Sublime Text 2 Build 2139 is out! Some of the notable new features in this beta are:

Replace in files – The find in files panel now supports replacing in files. The panel has also been streamlined, with the In Files and In Locations fields combined into a single Where field, that accepts a comma separated list of paths to search, and wildcard patterns to include and exclude files.

Fold arrows – Supplementing the code folding support in the last beta, there are now buttons in the gutter to collapse text using the mouse. By default, the fold buttons will fade from view unless the mouse is over the gutter, however this is configurable using the fade_fold_buttons file setting. The fold buttons, and the space reserved for them in the gutter, can be removed with the fold_buttons file setting.

Side bar keyboard navigation – The side bar can now receive input focus, and be driven using the keyboard. Left click on an already selected row to give the side bar input focus, or press ctrl+0. Pressing enter or escape in the side bar will restore focus back to the file area.

Reindent – The reindent command can be used to recalculate indentation for a file, using the auto-indent rules. This can be triggered from the Edit/Line/Reindent menu item, or Reindent Lines in the Command Palette.

There’s a lot more in this build than the above, see the full list and download it on the Sublime Text 2 page.

1. Awesome!!!
    Love the folding arrows :)
    Thank you!

Comment by Elad — November 2, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

2. Never fail to impress, I am happy I bought a license for this to help support the developer on the great job he continues to do.

Comment by Silent Works — November 2, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

3. Nice to see all these features being added on almost a daily basis. It’s almost a treat when I see a new update window popup. Love the editor, love the activity. I’d love it even more if the plugin scene was as thriving as TextMate, but I guess the (partial) support for TM files makes up for this.

Keep it going. I bought my version several months ago, and will certainly buy it again if it ever shows up in the Mac App Store.

ps. when you finally release this beauty, drop the “2″ in the name, it just doesn’t seem right. I know there was a version 1, but I have a feeling this is the first one to really take off (partly due to the demise of TM2), just my 2 cents.

Comment by Jean — November 2, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

4. Are the beta releases the same as the previous dev channel releases (2138 in this case)? I’m on the dev and am always curious to switch back momentarily when these releases hit. :-)

Comment by Travis Swicegood — November 2, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

5. The beta releases are always identical to the previous dev build, with the exception that you’ll only get update notifications for future beta versions, rather than dev versions.

Comment by Jon Skinner — November 2, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

6. Great work! I’m buying a license after testing this release.

Comment by Boaz — November 2, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

7. impressed with this release.
    i agree with what Jean said – “when you finally release this beauty, drop the “2″ in the name, it just doesn’t seem right.”
    keep up the good work.

Comment by vitaLee — November 2, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

8. Funny to hear how some people promise to buy license. Jon, your project is perfect – takes in count lots of details. You are great software developer, thank you for all of what we got! I believe after some time (personal for each one) everyone who use Sublime will be glad to support you by buying it. Cheers!

Comment by Sergey — November 2, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

9. This is love.
    I’m buying this if our startup takes off.

Comment by Dan — November 2, 2011 @ 11:56 pm

10. Awesome, I love it! I use Sublime every day, well worth the license. It’s an amazing product.

Comment by Mark — November 3, 2011 @ 1:20 am

11. Very nice!

I keep clicking the sidebar to bring the window into focus and I start arrowing around to move the cursor but the focus is on the sidebar. Is there a way to disable that or something?

Comment by Rob — November 3, 2011 @ 1:40 am

12. After this update, my find in project results open in a new tab instead of at the bottom of the editor. I can’t even find reference to this change in the changelog. Is there a setting to get this behavior back?

Comment by Unixmonkey — November 3, 2011 @ 2:02 am

13. Awesome work! I’m glad I purchased a license. Sublime Text is one of the best editors I have used. Thanks for your work, Mr. Skinner!

Comment by Chris — November 3, 2011 @ 2:33 am

14. ST2 is getting more awesome with each update prompt! Works great with Expandrive, blazing fast for AWS, Linode… Comes with Solarized integrated! Love it!

Had to do some work on Windows and Ubuntu (as opposed to ) last week, found it extremely comforting to be presented with the same GUI. Now if only user settings were shared somewhere in the cloud, centralised, ready to sync upon registered user’s login (wink-wink-nudge-nudge) :)

Is there a roadmap (read: feature plan for stable, release date)?

Excited to be using ST2, spreading the word, getting more devs hooked up!

Comment by hoopyfrood — November 3, 2011 @ 3:20 am

15. Thank you!!! I am so excited about the folding arrows and tab-side/language being in the bottom bar. You are awesome!!!

Comment by Luke — November 3, 2011 @ 3:31 am

16. Thanks for adding more folding support. I would love to see rules for folding. Like being able to have all elements up to a certain level folded by default when a file opens.

Very helpful when handing large files. Only want to see declarations of functions / methods, and maybe the first line of comments / inline doc if it exists.

Also having a keyboard shortcut to let you collapse / expand all to a level would be good.

New release looks great. Thanks.

Comment by Enmanuel Rivera — November 3, 2011 @ 3:43 am

17. Thanks for the consistent and solid releases! I’ve been impressed with how stable the dev builds are and I hope that you’re getting enough people purchasing licenses to keep you going for a long time.

Comment by Dan Klassen — November 3, 2011 @ 4:45 am

18. Unixmonkey: You can change the Find Results presentation back by toggling the ‘Use Buffer’ button on the Find in Files panel

Comment by Jon Skinner — November 3, 2011 @ 6:18 am

19. How do you hide all of the Find widgetry once you no longer want to see it? Command-F used to do it.

Comment by Nathan Duran — November 3, 2011 @ 7:19 am

20. I use Sublime Text 2 every day..
    and man I love it.. not just because it’s an amazing editor – but with such frequent (and great) updates, I have never been so happy to pay for a license :)

Keep up the *amazing* work. Your community loves you!

Comment by Chris Rickard — November 3, 2011 @ 7:21 am

21. I think there’s a bug on Mac.
    If i press Command + F the find dialog show up a the bottom as expected but i can’t close it anymore. If i press Command + F again nothing happens and i did not found any way of hiding it back again. The only solution so far is to quit the app and open it again each time i use Find.

Comment by daniels — November 3, 2011 @ 7:21 am

22. The find panel can be hidden by pressing escape

Comment by Jon Skinner — November 3, 2011 @ 7:49 am

23. Jon Skinner: Thanks!

Comment by Unixmonkey — November 3, 2011 @ 8:01 am

24. Jon Skinner: Thank you!

Comment by daniels — November 3, 2011 @ 8:41 am

25. Yay to the code folding arrows! works sublime, as always. Thanks

Comment by Ralph — November 3, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

26. Really awesome.

I think every editor and IDE need Cold Folding and automatic intendation and reintendation.
    That are all must haves and now Sublime got them ;) Thanks for the work.

Comment by Daniel Siepmann — November 3, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

27. Any chance the next version will fix the issue in OS X where pressing up on the first line doesn’t go to the beginning of the file and down on last line doesn’t go to the end? It seems really trivial, but that catches me out all the time, since it’s such an ingrained habit on OS X…

Comment by Carl — November 3, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

28. Thanks for adding more folding support, awesome work. I have only one observation to make. If I fold one method, save the file and close later, when I open the file again the method is no longer in the fold, ie, the folds are not maintained between sessions of opening and closing files. It has a way to solve this?

Comment by J. Rox — November 4, 2011 @ 12:48 am

29. You guys are simply awesome.

Comment by Alex ElChehimi — November 4, 2011 @ 3:07 am

30. What’s the best flow of upgrade from previous portable version to the new release?

Comment by hileon — November 4, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

31. hileon: to upgrade a portable version, just extract the new one over the top of the last one

Comment by Jon Skinner — November 4, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

32. Wow, you guys have made a lot of progress since version 1. I have been looking for a robust text editor that works in Windows, Linux, and Mac for several years now and Sublime has finally matured enough for me to pick it up as my primary editor.

The only features that I see it missing thus far are editable bundles (or plugins or whatever you want to call it) such as the HTML tidy (and similar tools for JS and PHP) that I like to use from time to time in TextMate and E-TextEditor.

As well as being able to customize those snippets and plugins and add new ones. These things would make it perfect.

Another idea for Sublime would be to be able to search online references like php.net for information about function use and parameters. That would be a cool nice to have.

Comment by Patrick Thurmond — November 5, 2011 @ 3:04 am

33. Thanks for a great product. I bought my license in August and I have not been disappointed. Once I longed for a text editor with all of the Visual Studio features I have come to love. Sublime Text 2 is even better!

One question: Is there an easy way to keep all of my user settings when I extract a new portable version?

Comment by Garett — November 5, 2011 @ 4:42 am

34. Transitioned from Textmate in a few hours and immediately bought the license. I also agree that the “2″ takes away something from the name… why not just call it “Sublime Text”? Great product, great developer! Keep up the good work.

Comment by Fabio Russo — November 5, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

35. Hi,

I have just notice about Sublime Text today! OMG!

It is apparently awesome. I have just start using it.

I have been looking for a Mate like editor for Windows (not Windows under Cygwin) for years.

Just one little problem: The default theme makes the tabs almost invisible in Windows. I have spent some time to download and configure the “soda-theme” to get it ready for my first impressions.

Thanks in advance for the hard work up to now.

I will start spreading the news ASAP.

Regards

Comment by Marcos Ricardo — November 7, 2011 @ 6:26 am

36. I’ve been waiting for the code folding, and it works amazing!! I just would’ve liked that it remembered the folds, but with the folding level shortcuts it’s not a big deal at all.
    Like always, when you add a new feature it’s done right! Thanks.

Comment by Art — November 8, 2011 @ 1:34 am

37. I went ahead and purchased a license. This will be replacing TextMate on Mac and E-TextEditor on Windows for me. On Ubuntu I will finally have an editor of choice. Nice job guys, I really like the minimalistic feel and the amazing features (especially multi-select and the code map). There are a few nice to haves that it is missing, but nothing I can’t live without (such as an HTML tidy feature). Thanks again!

Comment by Patrick Thurmond — November 8, 2011 @ 2:54 am