Sublime Text 2 Build 2165

Sublime Text 2 Beta 2165 is out now, with the biggest set of improvements yet. Some of the highlights are:

New UI Theme – Headlining 2165 is the new UI theme, by Mike Rundle. This theme brings a sharper look to Sublime Text, and an overall better aesthetic. One of the unique elements of this theme is how it adapts to the color of the file you’re editing, with the background color spilling into the tabs.

Speed – Sublime Text 2 has always been quick, and now it’s both faster and leaner. Startup times especially are now faster, although keep in mind that the first time you start up after installing or upgrading, it’ll take longer than normal as your packages are updated.

Auto Complete – Suggestions are now offered as you type, to complete the current word or insert snippets. Because this uses Sublime Text’s fuzzy matching algorithm, you can type just a few key characters to quickly select the word you want to complete: No more typing wow_this_function_name_is_really_long(), wtf<enter> will get you want you want.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you may want to enable the auto_complete_commit_on_tab file setting: This will make tab accept the current completion, and enter operate as normal. This removes the ambiguity between accepting the completion vs. entering a newline, and is highly reccomended if you’ve got the time to learn a new way to do things.

Auto complete isn’t for everyone, and can be disabled with the auto_complete file setting. Details are in the Auto Complete documentation.

Menu Refinement – The menu has been updated to better expose helpful functionality, such as Goto Anything (Ctrl+P / Command+P), the various ways to switch between files (the Goto/Switch File menu), and Quick Find commands (in the Find menu).

More! Command+Shift+T / Ctrl+Shift+T will now reopen the last closed file, Vintage mode has receieved many improvments, the API has been expanded, and a whole lot of polish has been applied.

You can download 2165 from http://www.sublimetext.com/2, I hope you enjoy it!

1. Thanks for your work Sublime text 2 is becoming more and more amazing eveyday. I especially like the new “autocomplete” that opens as you type.

Comment by Grafikart — January 12, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

2. I didn’t think anything would make me consider moving from MacVim, but Sublime Text 2 keeps getting better and better! The only thing I miss is Vim’s split view control. It’s much more flexible and quicker to use.

Comment by Chris — January 12, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

3. The only thing missing from the split view is the option to open the same file in different views, sometimes you want to look at the top and bottom of a file at the same time (Python, new code at the bottom, imports at the top) without scrolling up and down all the time.

Comment by Harro — January 12, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

4. Harro: You can get two views of the same file via the File/Clone File menu item

Comment by Jon Skinner — January 12, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

5. I really fall in love with this editor.

Comment by chuzheng — January 12, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

6. The new UI theme apparently disregards the highlight_modified_tabs option — I had it enabled before, but after the update tabs no longer have visible modified state.

Comment by lanzz — January 12, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

7. highlight_modified_tabs isn’t currently supported, but will likely come back in the future

Comment by Jon Skinner — January 12, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

8. This is awesome. Sublime Text 2 gets better and better !

Comment by Rahul — January 12, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

9. Great! Thank you. :)

Comment by Aleks — January 12, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

10. Awesome. The new theme needs a little more contrast between active and inactive tabs, I think.

Comment by Ang Chin han — January 12, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

11. realy love the new theme and the autocomplete!!

Comment by dwiash — January 12, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

12. Two words: Awe Some!

Comment by Luke — January 12, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

13. Thank you so much !

Comment by Henri — January 12, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

14. Awesome, this is the best software ever !

Comment by Rodrigo — January 12, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

15. Great update! Thanks for your work. I love the new UI theme.

Comment by José Francisco Calvo — January 12, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

16. love the new autocomplete! that’s what I’ve been missing, not having to type that_horribly_long_function_name() is really nice.

Comment by Jan — January 12, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

17. When are you planning to roll Sublime Text out of Beta?

Comment by srgkm — January 12, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

18. As always, an anticipated update that never fails to impress. Excellent work.

Comment by Cue — January 12, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

19. Great stuff, feels even zippier, if that’s possible!

Like the new theme, although echo the comment above that perhaps a little more contrast might be nice between the active tab the background tabs. Perhaps they should be a little lighter?

Might sneak a little feature request in too… If you find in files, and then click on a found item, it’d be nice if the match was highlighted, since I always find myself hunting for it! Maybe it is possible in the settings and I haven’t found it…

Cheers,
    Westy

Comment by Westy — January 12, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

20. Still no ‘doctor’ (Eliza) mode? :-)

Comment by Clint Laskowski — January 12, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

21. well done! thanks.

Comment by Gio — January 12, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

22. Great work! The only thing that keeps me from using SublimeText sadly is that it doesn’t really work with CyberDuck to integrate S/FTP-editing of remote files. :-(

Comment by Garvin — January 12, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

23. Hi Joe, great update!

Just wanted to stress the fact that the “highlight_modified_tabs” option is quite important (for me at least) since it helps me see immediately if I forgot to save some of the files I am working on. I really hope this option will be back soon.

Aside from this, everything looks great!

Comment by Andrei — January 12, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

24. @Garvin – stupid you. Just found http://trac.cyberduck.ch/ticket/6399 which actually fixed that particular issue. Back to “SublimeText2″ is awesome then. ;)

Comment by Garvin — January 12, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

25. http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5136/5568765495_43a050b677.jpg

Comment by Bruno Bernardino — January 12, 2012 @ 9:13 pm

26. If you only knew how many years I’ve waited for this code editor to exist (hint: well over 10)… It was worth the wait!
    You seriously deserve a Noble prize for this.

Comment by Harel Malka — January 12, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

27. Excellent update.

Found out that there was a Windows version yesterday, and as i’m currently stuck on a Windows machine I had to try it. Having only seen Sublime in passing, usually a TextMate user, my whole January got much better after finally finding an editor that don’t suck on Windows, but is relly good to boot.

Long story short is that I bought a license yesterday, and directly an update is out.

// Happier than a child in a candy store. :-D

PS. Nice how easy it was to style the app. Got my autocomplete & file list in a dark flavour now. :-)

Comment by Robin — January 12, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

28. Jon, you rocked my world! I was looking for Textmate replacement for years and finally I found something that I was able to switch to. I’ve tried *a lot* of alternatives, believe me. Only you could beat Textmate! That’s quite an accomplishment if you ask me.

Comment by Dima Sabanin — January 12, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

29. Great work, new theme is sexy and autocomplete is wonderful. Have one annoyance now though when scrolling the preview pane only a couple of pixels it goes slightly berserk.

Comment by Ian — January 12, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

30. Hi! Congrats :) I am using it, testing, etc. It is very good! My problem with it is the lack of a ‘cscope’-like feature. I ’solve’ it using the search in all files, but sometimes I spend to much time ’til find the right place I was looking for :/

Comment by Emanuel — January 12, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

31. Great job as always! Keep it up :)

Thanks from Slovakia

Comment by Marek — January 12, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

32. Loving ST2, seems like every with every release it just keeps on getting more awesomer.

One feature I would love to see is a plugin for tooltips:

Comment by Paul M — January 12, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

33. You deserve all the praise ur getting, this is not an alternative to TextMate, Sublime Text is better than TM, much better! any chance you’re changing the icon so we could actually make love to it? :D

Comment by Wael Al-Sallami — January 12, 2012 @ 10:20 pm

34. Thanks for the continued effort on what is now my favourite editor! Permanently switched over from TextMate now =)

Comment by Matthew — January 12, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

35. There is a new update, testing right now. Thank you. I’m using ST especially in Windows because there is no other editor like it. Waiting for new updates.

Comment by Angel Amarilla — January 12, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

36. This looks like a fantastic product. But how about a distinctive icon? The grey box looks a lot like the Terminal icon, and doesn’t do a fantastic product justice!

Comment by Jeremy — January 12, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

37. This is perfect!

Comment by Novas — January 12, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

38. Great work!

Comment by Jason Mulligan — January 12, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

39. I am a longtime Sublime Text user and the product just keeps getting better and better.

Nice one, Jon!!

Comment by Mick — January 12, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

40. With respect to the comments of the icon. I’m using this when used in ubuntu:

Comment by Paul M — January 12, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

41. Happy to see that work don’t stop. Thanks a lot for a great text editor!

Comment by demy — January 12, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

42. Congrats on the Beta! I bought a License earlier this year because of the constant improvements and updates. Keep up the GREAT work!
    Now, if only something could be done for that icon :-p

Comment by Chris — January 13, 2012 @ 12:16 am

43. Just a bit of feedback for you Jon.

- New autocomplete is awesome.
    - New UI is great bit side panel is still white, you should consider bundling Soda Theme[1] into ST2 so you have pure white, pure dark and mixed themes. Just an idea.
    - Finally, I can’t distinguish the speed improvements, it already ran as fast as I would want but hey, congrats, other users will notice.

Great job Jon.

Aside: Will we see a Theme switcher menu inside Preferences in a (near?) future?

[1]: https://github.com/buymeasoda/soda-theme

Comment by toqueteos — January 13, 2012 @ 12:21 am

44. Great speed improvements! ST2 feels like it opens just as fast as Notepad2 now. This is huge because it means I will probably start using ST2 a lot more for random file editing.

Now you just need to build in the Package Control plugin and everything is perfect, right? (Seriously plug-in installation/management should be a native concern – not something you want handled by a 3rd party…)

Comment by Joshua — January 13, 2012 @ 12:50 am

45. Awesome work.. the new theme is nice too.

Comment by Daniel — January 13, 2012 @ 1:00 am

46. Great update, I absolutely love the code completion.
    good work

Comment by Andreas — January 13, 2012 @ 1:01 am

47. I am using Sublime Text for quite some time now and I am happy it still keeps improving. Thanks for your wonderful work! My search for the ultimative editor ended successfully when I found Sublime Text.

One thing to mention: The new UI theme is really clear and nice, but when using the Blackboard Color Scheme inactive tabs are lighter than active ones. This is quite confusing. Also I would like to see dark backgrounded input fields (search-and-replace, goto-anything, etc.) again.

Comment by Sascha — January 13, 2012 @ 1:08 am

48. I <3 you

Comment by Casey — January 13, 2012 @ 1:12 am

49. Amazing.

One important missing feature: when using 2 groups or more, sometimes I don’t really know which one is focused. Something simples indicating this would be awesome, maybe 1-5% lighter tabs background (not the tab itself, behind the tabs).

Thank you.

Comment by Alexandre — January 13, 2012 @ 1:32 am

50. Once again, Jon, you deliver. Nice to see another great update!

Comment by caiges — January 13, 2012 @ 1:33 am

51. Good stuff! Thanks a lot!
    Also “highlight_modified_tabs” option is critical for me (and I believe for lots of developers), please consider to include it ASAP.

Thanks again!

Comment by Sergey — January 13, 2012 @ 1:35 am

52. Thanks for your continued efforts on this wonderful editor!

Comment by Greg — January 13, 2012 @ 1:35 am

53. GLSL and HLSL language support would be fantastic.

As well, detecting methods and functions to give you a preview of parameter lists (with types & names) would be great.

Right now I use ST2 for embedded systems development and scripting languages, but if you added this feature I would stop using visual studio all together for personal projects.

This is a wicked update. Thanks a lot for putting a great product out there for development.

Comment by Jared — January 13, 2012 @ 1:55 am

54. man…. I was supposed to be learning vim. Sublime text keeps making that less and less appealing… Thanks for the auto completion

Comment by jon — January 13, 2012 @ 2:07 am

55. When will the “2 file items being highlighted in the sidebar” bug be fixed? (Is it Mac specific?)

Otherwise, thank you Jon for a great editor! The best.

Comment by Andy L — January 13, 2012 @ 2:14 am

56. i’ll third the return of highlight modified tabs. i’ve definitely gotten used to that as after initially switching to ST it was too easy to forget to save a file and wonder why my code changes weren’t getting picked up. i do see that in the meantime it changes the “X” to close a tab into a little circle if the file is modified, so there is some visual indication, but it will certainly require a closer scan of all my tabs to make sure any changes are saved.

regardless, kudos as well to jon for a fantastic editor. i’ve dropped eclipse/STS for grails development and am continually pointing out to coworkers the productivity gains of ST’s grid view. being able to see domains/controllers/services/views all at the same time is just great.

one question, i just installed the update and may decide i like it as is, but is it possible to turn off the italic text? the groovy and html syntax highighting of various keywords in a different color is enough, not sure i need certain ones to be italicized as well. thanks!

Comment by dave — January 13, 2012 @ 2:18 am

57. All of these great (while still in beta!) updates kind of make me want to pay more than I’ve already paid :)

Comment by timmfin — January 13, 2012 @ 2:25 am

58. I think it’s time to pay for this thing…

Comment by Andy Czerwonka — January 13, 2012 @ 2:26 am

59. Loving this update! Nice work.

Comment by Boston — January 13, 2012 @ 2:38 am

60. Autocomplete is awesome! Thanks for your great work on this editor.

Comment by Dave — January 13, 2012 @ 2:47 am

61. ok, so figured out how to edit the theme to remove the italics. which may be a bad thing as i’ll probably spend too much time experimenting with tweaks. :)

Comment by dave — January 13, 2012 @ 3:01 am

62. What is the new theme called? I tried all the ones I have in my dropdowns and could not find the same combination of colors you have in your screenshots.

Comment by Serge — January 13, 2012 @ 3:07 am

63. You rock! Thanks!!

Comment by Eric — January 13, 2012 @ 3:20 am

64. Downloadiiiiiiiing!
    Let’s see what’s new!

Comment by Rafael Oliveira (@rafaelcgo) — January 13, 2012 @ 3:48 am

65. Awesome new work guys! seriously I just installed the upgrade and it just looks amazing! thank you so much.
    By the way I’ve been spreading out the word on the coolness of this tool and my colleagues are now using sublime as well so keep it up!

Comment by Oscar — January 13, 2012 @ 4:01 am

66. It’s really hard to distinguish the difference between open and closed tabs. Please make it more obvious, not everyone has the same monitor setup.

Comment by dardub — January 13, 2012 @ 4:04 am

67. I like the gui. I have been on dev releases, so I have been working with it for awhile.

I see contrast on the tabs. http://i.imgur.com/IaMk9.png

I am on twilight theme, so either your theme has the same background color as the tabs inactive color (if that can be) or your display may not be calibrated correctly.

The tabs do need to have scrollers for left to right movement when full, or overfull.

Comment by Joe — January 13, 2012 @ 4:05 am

68. I will surely be purchasing this soon. :)

Comment by eminkel — January 13, 2012 @ 4:11 am

69. I just looked around and the tab colors are distinguishable in most color schemes. But for monokai which I use, it is hard to distinguish between open and closed tabs.

Comment by dardub — January 13, 2012 @ 4:13 am

70. Is there a way to make auto-complete to provide suggestions from other files in the project?

Comment by Joshua Gross — January 13, 2012 @ 4:21 am

71. Great work! I love it!
    Thank you very much!!!

Comment by Ray — January 13, 2012 @ 4:30 am

72. Fabulous.

Not sure if this is a Unity3D thing or Sublime Text… I have the editor set as the default in Unity, but it doesn’t jump to the line when I click on any code error found by Unity, unlike other editors.

I was wondering if this is purely a Unity thing that’s not supporting Sublime Text, or something in Sublime that can be changed to accommodate this kind of functionality?

Comment by Tarique — January 13, 2012 @ 4:52 am

73. Love it! nice work!

Comment by Richard W — January 13, 2012 @ 4:59 am

74. Love Sublime; love the update. Been using Sublime solid for the past few months.

I’m a front-end guy: the visual emphasis of the active/inactive tab is off IMHO.

I keep catching myself thinking the inactive tab is active. That’s because it’s slightly “brighter” in the default theme. It slightly violates a convention, but not a rule.

Wanted to log this in case it is a prevailing view (which it might not be..).

Certainly not enough to stop using this, Jon. This is a fantastic product. Thanks!

Comment by Kevin M — January 13, 2012 @ 5:21 am

75. This upgrade is very good, I might say as you turn off autocomplete.
    thanks

Comment by andres — January 13, 2012 @ 5:48 am

76. Great job on the updates!

I liked the flat look of the last version, FWIW.

Comment by Ali — January 13, 2012 @ 5:52 am

77. Loving auto complete and the new look!

Comment by Dennis Ju — January 13, 2012 @ 6:19 am

78. Wow, the new UI theme also looks great with light-background themes like Slush & Poppies.

Bold highlighting and on-the-fly syntax reloading were the only things I missed in ST2. How am I supposed to appear unbiased while evangelizing your editor if you don’t leave me some kind of drawback to point out? I’ll have to fall back on listing unsupported platforms: “Sure it’s great and all, but it doesn’t run on Plan 9.”

But seriously, add my thanks to the chorus.

Comment by Dan — January 13, 2012 @ 6:34 am

79. I love the new UI, very nice. One thing though; the previous version colored the indent guides for the sections the caret is in, but the new one doesn’t.
    Is that something that can be turned back on with an option?

Comment by AsherMaximum — January 13, 2012 @ 6:38 am

80. Just tried out this editor, and it was love at first sight :) . Kudos to everyone involved!

About the only thing keeping me from calling Sublime my favorite text editor (title still held by E-Text Editor, which sadly is Windows-only and I abandoned that ship long ago), is a persistent history tree. That’d be a really awesome feature, hope you consider it for future releases!

Comment by Fix Peña — January 13, 2012 @ 8:07 am

81. Love it. Bought it. Highly recommended.

Comment by Jeffrey Heath — January 13, 2012 @ 8:10 am

82. thanks!

Comment by Vlad Suciu — January 13, 2012 @ 9:13 am

83. The new theme looks great overall but I’ll second the call for the return of highlight unsaved tabs.

I’m also dying for a function/method/whatever navigator.

Thanks for the nice work!

Comment by n8 — January 13, 2012 @ 9:35 am

84. Dear god, this is amazing. Thank you!!

Comment by David — January 13, 2012 @ 9:42 am

85. Amazing work! Column and Row based buffers, plugin system written in python…goodbye TextMate, hello Sublime Text.

Comment by Matt Schick — January 13, 2012 @ 10:20 am

86. Great job. Two things:

1. New theme looks great, but somehow I think it’s little bit harder to spot which tab is active. Maybe the top border could be slightly brighter.

2. I’d love to have an image preview in sublime text. It isn’t a core functionality, but as I usually have images in my project paths, I’d love to use the quick file finder to browse through the images. They are now shown in text-mode, there could be an option to switch to ’show images’ mode.

Thanks.

Comment by Guest — January 13, 2012 @ 11:10 am

87. congrats on the new UI! The update looks beautiful!

Comment by Ari Lerner — January 13, 2012 @ 11:45 am

88. Thank you sir.

Comment by Eric Jones — January 13, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

89. For the ones complaining about current tab visilibity, there is a user echo ticket:

Comment by ksamuel — January 13, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

90. For the other desperate souls, here is a patch for the theme file to restore support for “highlight_modified_tabs” – until the next build fixes it properly.

Comment by Jordi Boggiano — January 13, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

91. Thank you!!!

Comment by Alexandr Parfenov — January 13, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

92. Great! Thank you.

Comment by Hosting geek — January 13, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

93. I use textmate on mac, notepad++ on windows and emacs on linux. This editor is kicking them out. The beta has almost all the functionnality I want, but it’s lean, mean and cross platform! Now I can justify putting time in package for new language.

Love your work!

Comment by mrvkino — January 14, 2012 @ 1:57 am

94. You will never have every feature that every user wants. But I’m so happy that you keep adding features and improving the existing ones. Sublime Text, and especially build 2165, is an outstanding editor with a very robust feature set. Well done!

Comment by T. Marshall — January 15, 2012 @ 3:38 am