Sublime Text 2: New Version

A new version of the Sublime Text 2 alpha, 20110129, is out now. This primarily addresses compatibility with Linux distributions other than Ubuntu, but I’ve snuck in some extra features for everyone:

• OS X: Command+1 will select the first tab, Command+2 the second, and so on.
  • Various Goto Anything improvements, mostly notably, symbol browsing will start at the symbol closest to the cursor, and spaces are ignored when searching through files. Previously, a space would only match against a file name with a space in it.
  • Syntax highlighting for the Go programming language.
  • More!

The full list of changes is on the Sublime Text 2 page. Release announcements are generally posted on the forum, rather than the blog, so I’ll be posting them there (and on twitter) after this release.

1. Cool. This is becoming my main text editor for the Mac.

Comment by Pieman — January 30, 2011 @ 1:22 am

2. I’ve been working with NetBeans for a couple of years and have never bean completely satisfied with it. It does Ruby/Rails pretty well but its just too heavy and tries to do *to* much for me. Just in the past couple of days I have been looking for something lightweight and configurable/extend-able. I tried several other editors (VIM, Aptana) but they just don’t feel right.

Sublime Text 2 changes everything. After using for an hour or so I find that I just want to keep on programming. It’s almost perfect and doesn’t distract me or get in the way. And I haven’t even properly set it up yet!

Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I *really* like your editor and I think it will change the way I write code. This is a big thing, kinda like using Git or Ruby on Rails. I will be purchasing a copy when it gets a bit more stable.

BTW: Super double bonus points for cross platform!!!

Comment by Richard — January 30, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

3. First time user… WOW!

Comment by Patrick — January 31, 2011 @ 10:23 am

4. Hey there, after testing out the Alpha I can say I’m really impressed. It has a wonderful interface and smooth effects. Like said above, it makes me want to keep on programming.

The only reason this is not my main editor (believe me, I’d switch) is because it doesn’t have a built in FTP capabilities. My current editor connects right to my server and I can edit files without downloading them and re-uploading. Anyway, feature idea, but that’s minor details.

I’ll be using this for editing local files.

Comment by Sam — January 31, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

5. Such a functional text masher for an alpha! Definitely looking forward to it’s release.

Now I have three great text editors:
    Textmate + Espresso + Sublime (with a little Kod on the side).

Each one so unique and functional. I wish their killer features could all be combined into the be-it-all editor (Maybe that’s Sublime Text 2 release).

A note for Mac users on getting your font set exactly how you like it.

Find your font in Font Book, use the font name listed there followed by a space and the weight. For example to get the same font as Kod you would use “font_face”: “M+ 1m light”.

Comment by Robert — February 1, 2011 @ 5:01 am

6. Excellent editor! Perhaps it will finally pull me away from Emacs :)

I’ve already started using it as my primary editor. I had Emacs shortcuts to find files in my projects but they are unnecessary with the Go To Anywhere feature. The regex match highlighting as you type is so useful. The Emacs regexes are a bit complex for me, so I always had to use frustrating trial-and-error.

What I sorely miss is being able to run a shell command from within the editor. Command line tools are way to common on Linux and any half-decent programmer’s editor should have a way to easily integrate them. I know there’s a Plugin API for ST2, but I couldn’t figure out how to write plugins given the lack of documentation (is there any?)

I want to run a command that takes a user input and produces a view containing the output. The view should also has direct links to line numbers in different files. This is super easy in emacs using the compilation-start function. The ST2 build system doesn’t cut it because it cannot accept user input.

Comment by Icyman — February 1, 2011 @ 8:49 am

7. Hi Jon, I have a curiosity: how do you did the cross platform development? On Mac, in example, did you use objC/cocoa for the interface?

Comment by Cassio — February 1, 2011 @ 9:53 am

8. thanks … i’m now using “monokai bright” in textmate ;-) . i’m very happy, that i am able to play around with sublime text 2 now. this is definitly the most promising editor i’ve seen for ages. keep up the good work!

Comment by harald — February 1, 2011 @ 10:52 pm

9. @Sam: if you’re on Linux, then remote editing works via GVFS. It’s not enabled in the dialog (it should be), but going to ~/.gvfs lets you browse remote shares, open and edit files.

Comment by Vadim P — February 2, 2011 @ 2:31 am

10. For a Alpha version its very good, have not encountered bugs and it looks great. Im using it as my main editor for Django/Javascript developing now.

I do have a couple of features id love to see!
    - ctrl + click on files/links in code to go to them
    - able to add files/folders in sidebar
    - autocompletion of files through

One of the most important things for me is to be able to have the sidebar work a little bit better. For example clicking on the folder name instead of arrow to collapse. And also be able to right click for adding and deleting files with auto project refresh.

The rest looks promising and i might stick around :) Good luck

Comment by Nigel Dokter — February 4, 2011 @ 7:44 am

11. Purchased Sublime, love the editor, greatly!

However, the folder updating and closing and having to do it manually is driving me nuts. New files don’t seem to be apearing for me when I do command + t, until I refresh the folders, then it’s closed. It’s quite frustrating.

Comment by Christopher — February 10, 2011 @ 8:55 am

12. Do you plan to add support for Diff/Patch files syntax coloration? Would be just great.

Comment by NiKo — February 15, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

13. http://www.reddit.com/r/web_design/comments/fls5k/what_do_you_use_for_writing_htmlcss/

Made a plug for ya but we need some more support!

Comment by rideh — February 16, 2011 @ 4:28 am

14. So far Sublime Text 2 works great for me. High quality piece of software. The most important improvement in this build for me are the fake scrollbars on Windows — I can now scroll using the TrackPoint on my ThinkPad.

I’ll wait until it’s out of beta, then I’m definitely buying it! Keep up the good work!

Comment by yak — February 20, 2011 @ 4:05 am